Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: persian
03-08-2008, 09:42 AM   #11

Re: Recommended Dry Food

Take a look at Orijen - wonderful ingredients list.

Mine are doing so well since I switched - no more turning up their noses!!

See catanddogtreats or your pet shop

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
03-08-2008, 09:48 PM   #12

Mine have been fed Royal Canin sensitive for years and do very well on it. I also think highly of James Wellbelloved, Nutro and Burns, I personally wouldn't go for the Go Cat and definitely not Iams. http://www.iamscruelty.com/

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
04-08-2008, 02:54 AM   #13

think i'm gonna try to wean hestia off her old food..her old mommy brough purina pro plan senior...i have some high quality cat food in the ferrets mixture..wonder if she'd take to it or it'd be too many changes at once.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
04-08-2008, 09:58 AM   #14

Ah, see I give them Go-Cat as it's the one all the shops do, it's easy to buy, cheap-ish and they like it.

I have heard of the Iams cruelty stories before, but I also read that PETA over-exagerrated and PETA can do some pretty weird things :S I'm not sure! I would absolutely hate to support a company that are actively and continuously cruel to animals but I don't understand how if it's well-known, they haven't been shut down yet? Not meaning to cause a debate, just voicing my internal conflict!

I will have a look at Orijen thanks for recommending it! There's a good petshop near me that stocks all the good food, like James Wellbeloved and Natures Menu. Darcy can't get enough of Natures Menu treats so hopefully he's equally overjoyed with some fancy dry food!

Thanks for the recs everyone! Will let you know how I get on

Catsey Veteran

04-08-2008, 11:35 AM   #15

Hi Meep, yes I have heard theat Peta exaggerate too, but I saw some footage of this at crufts one year and it was horrific. I think things have *improved* at Iams/Eukanuba, but still some way to go. I have never used the food, but I have heard that it can give upset tums anyway. However, of course it is up to you! Go-cat is cheap and as you say easily available, but I don't think the ingredient list is great and of course you get what you pay for!!

Almost a Veteran Member

04-08-2008, 12:10 PM   #16

Hi Kim, thanks for this info: I do agree that you get what you pay for, and I am wanting to give my boys the best I can afford. It's just all so complicated sometimes I did a bit of research on wet food and tried them on some good quality food but they wouldn't touch it. The only thing they seem to like is Felix as good as it looks, and the Tesco Finest chicken. So I give them that as a treat once a week and Felix as there two main meals a day. It's not the best but they eat it and they're happy!

I'm also trying to find them a good dry food, as I know dry-food in itself isnt the best for cats, and want to give them the best I can. There's been loads of great suggestions, it's just an issue of how easy it is to come by and the cost (unfortuately). Go-cat has been the one I use in the meantime for the reasons I suggested, but after my trip to the petshop this afternoon (it is a 45 min walk away from work but they're worth it hehe) I'll hopefully find something a bit better that they like.

I've read quite a few reports from PETA on Iams, I think I found the links through this site, and it is horrible to hear of some of the cruelty. I wasn't actually aware that go-cat were part of the iams thing (i have avoided iams because of the reports). To be honest, I'm going to finish the carton of go-cat i have in the cupboard as I can't afford to throw it away and get something new. My boys haven't had much trouble with it at all for their tums; only once has MInsky been sick but it was when I was trying him on differnet wet foods and he didn't like it, so he scoffed loads of dry instead I really don't like to think I@m giving them junk food or supported those who are cruel to animals, it's just such a hard balance to find.

Animal foods are probably one of the worst to navigate your way though. I'm sure the Felix stuff I give mine has some nasty stuff in it that would make our stomachs turn but I have tried my best to give them something beter, and simply can't afford to give them the Tesco's Finest every rday (also I gave it to them three days running and they had very runny tums after! so maybe too rich). Also, there are so many things being thrown back and forth, and also occasional food scares where pets have died from a bad batch of food going out (I remember this from a wee while back with Whiskas I think).

At the end of the day, I want to make sure my two are getting the food they like with the nutrients they need, as with few nasties as possible in it, but within my price range. Ain't easy

But thanks for all the advice, I really do appreciate it! And I'll avoid go-cat from now on unless there's nothing else to hand and I've run out of all else!

Almost a Veteran Member

04-08-2008, 12:17 PM   #17

Just looking through the link you suggestd, and found the page of all recalled pet foods here:

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/script...oodrecall/#Cat

I noticed that two Royal Canin's have been recalled. I've only heard good things about this food, and am by no means trying to bad name it now, it's just worrying to think that even the 'good' food is actually sometimes bad :S

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
04-08-2008, 02:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep
Just looking through the link you suggestd, and found the page of all recalled pet foods here:

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/script...oodrecall/#Cat

I noticed that two Royal Canin's have been recalled. I've only heard good things about this food, and am by no means trying to bad name it now, it's just worrying to think that even the 'good' food is actually sometimes bad :S
That link was a US site, would their Royal Canin differ in any way to ours in the UK?

Catsey Veteran

04-08-2008, 09:53 PM   #19

It is difficult Meep. I mainly feed mine Felix As good as it looks too and they love it! I know it it not the best, but not the worst either. As cost is an issue too, I also buy whatever is on offer, so they usually have felix or whiskas. I did buy some Tesco's finest, but they didn't like it anyway! You sound a really responsible owner and I'm sure you do your best by your boys.

Almost a Veteran Member

07-08-2008, 09:45 AM   #20

Thanks Kim! My two do like Tesco's Finest, but Sheba's do one very very similar in small, round tins. Either chicken, or tuna with prawns. Well, Tesco's finest is now a more expensive than the Sheba one! So I buy them the Sheba one as a treat, and they devour it!! You could try that with yours as a treat? It does look pretty much the same as the Tesco's one, but they seem to prefer the Sheba one to the Tesco one?

It is tricky, I haven't had a chance to get to the petshop and am running low on Go-Cat so will buy some new dry food once Go-Cat runs out. It does occasionally make them sick if they eat it too quickly... but that could just be cause they're greedy