Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll & Moggy
19-12-2004, 12:55 AM   #11

Re: showing cats

cant wait till i go tomy first 1

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Is owned by Persians
19-12-2004, 02:34 PM   #12

its great fun and a brill way of meeting people with the same interestsWe will probably meet you at the shows .one thing i will say though is go for the fun of the showing ,dont go to win.It can be a very funny game

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
27-08-2005, 02:05 PM   #13

has anyone been to show there cats yet?

How old do they have to be?

Catsey Veteran

27-08-2005, 02:50 PM   #14

nope i have not yet Jac not had time

i think they can start ay about 4 months but i may be wrong i know it is younger than pups which is 6 months

Catsey Veteran

27-08-2005, 02:53 PM   #15

I can understand you not having the time! you must be really tiered and it's just the start!

Catsey Veteran

27-08-2005, 05:14 PM   #16

LOL you can say that again and this is the biggest litter we have had every plus i have 3 young kids (which are more work then all the pets put together)

Catsey Veteran

27-08-2005, 05:48 PM   #17

As a mother and step mother 6 in all I know exactly what you mean. Give me animals anyday!!!
O'h just to make you feel better (haha) they get worse as teenagers, the little ones are the best

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Maine Coon and Norwegian Forest
04-09-2005, 01:20 PM   #18

Hi
I used to show my Maine Coon boys, our Kevin is a Supreme Champion!!! and boy does he know it!

There are two main bodies for showing - GCCF and FiFe. If you show with GCCF you are not allowed to decorate the cage and bedding and bowls etc must all be white, also once the judging strts you are not allowed in the hall until they've about finished (usually a couple of hours). With FiFe you can put anything in the cage you like, curtains, toys food etc and decorate it as much as you want and they often have prizes for best dressed cage!! (bit naff, but fun) Also, with FiFe the cats are taken to the judges table by a steward and everyone can see the judging and hear what the judge thinks of each cat. The first time I showed with them it was sooooo nerve racking as I loved my like 7month baby no matter what they thought but obviously didn't want him slated in public either.
If you're thinking of doing it, you need to be pretty thick skinned as it can be a very "catty" world and some breeders like others and then not someone lese etc depending on who you bought your cats from is whether they like you or not.
I stopped showing with the Cat Association (UK representative body of FiFe) because they got too clicky and if your face didn't fit your cat got nowhere. I wsa only doing it for a hobby so didn't mind but felt it was wrong that anything other than their standard of points should be influencing the decisions.
Sorry, I've gone on a bit!!

cheers

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
04-09-2005, 01:41 PM   #19

Thank you MCS for an insight of what goes on in the show circuit. What a shame there is a 'not so nice' side to it.....it should be fun and a nice hobby but as in all walks of life there are those who spoil it for others
Congratulations to your Kevin for being a Supreme Champion.....at least he made you proud before your disillusionment

Oh, and you didn't 'go on a bit' ....we are always interested to hear of people's experiences in the cat world

Thanks!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
04-09-2005, 01:51 PM   #20

It's great to get an insight into what goes on a shows. What a shame your fun was spoilt and you stopped showing your cats