Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

View Poll Results: What do you think is best for a Cat & do you have any opinions?
Indoor Living 10 66.67%
Free 2 roam 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Cats owned: N/A :(
kstone is Male
24-10-2006, 03:56 PM   #1

'Indoor' or 'Outdoor'

My Kittie was knocked down by a car and I have now decided to go for the indoor option (2 Kitties).

I would be interested to know what your thoughts and opinions are?

Indoor or outdoor Living?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
24-10-2006, 04:11 PM   #2

Re: 'Indoor' or 'Outdoor'

Think it is up to the invidual and their circumstances/preferences, we have had a variety of strictly indoor, roamers and somewhere inbetween through the years. At present Clementine chooses to have a wander, but not that bad considering.
We live in the city, but at a sorta 'semi-rural' end, houses and such yes but its all back streets and things, then a few fields, various bits of waste land etc-don't get me wrong there are roads, infact we live by a rather notorious main road-but all our cats have tended to stay away from this as it doesn't lead them anywhere intersting, as it were, just to houses.
Ii's totally up to you what you choose for your cats.
I myself prefer them to live a life which they choose-if they don't wish to wander, they don't-but if they wish to go off and do their thing then thats fine too.
Again, its down to you.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats
24-10-2006, 04:14 PM   #3

I have always had outdoor cats but they have a relatively safe environment. I just don't feel it is a natural way of living to be locked up 24/7. It would be like putting us in a luxury hotel but with no access to the outside world. The word institutionalised springs to mind.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
24-10-2006, 04:20 PM   #4

It does totally depend on circumstances and nature of the cat. I have quite a large house but live by a main road. I have seem several cats belonging to neighbours either killed or injured.

My cats go out in our garden under supervision, but usually will wander back in after a couple of minutes. The ARE persians so tend not to be the most energetic of cats. However, I did have an ex-stray ex-tom who took to indoor living like a duck to water!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
24-10-2006, 04:29 PM   #5

I have 3 indoor only cats. I hav eseen to many cats run over to feel comfortable with the idea of them going out. Probably not entirely fair on them, but I'd rather they stayed safe.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
24-10-2006, 04:30 PM   #6

I cant click either as they are not entirey indoors, and not free to roam either. they are kept in at certain times.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
24-10-2006, 04:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
I cant click either as they are not entirey indoors, and not free to roam either. they are kept in at certain times.
Same cirumstances..but i did choose an option eventually..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
24-10-2006, 05:17 PM   #8

I chose to let my cats out via a cat flap, but this decision is not taken lightly. They are kept in at night and we live in a relatively 'safe' area, we live at the end of a cul-de-sac with no main roads nearby. We have lived here for 12 years and never had any problems with our cats. I personally prefer to let my cats have freedom which is why we chose to live here! I realise they are at risk from thieves, kids with air guns, etc, and I do worry, but they love their freedom. Strangely though, 1 chooses to stay in most of the time and 2 of the others mainly stay in the garden, Misty is the only wanderer and has had many abcessess from his 'tom cat' ways! (even though he isn't!)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
24-10-2006, 06:25 PM   #9

4 of my cats a semi, indoor cats, only allowed out when I am at home, if I go out they come in....But Chancer, is allowed out when he wants, because he was a stray, he had his own routine...and it would not be fair to keep him in, when he wants out!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
24-10-2006, 06:27 PM   #10

Cassie has access to outdoors via her catflap.......however she is not allowed out the front of the house because of the road (although it is not too busy).

If you do know it's safe for them, I agree with letting them out..