Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: N/A :(
kstone is Male
23-10-2006, 06:05 PM   #1

Brothers, Sisters or different families?

Hi Guys -

I'm new to this forum - but you guys seem like a friendly bunch so I was wondering if you can help me?

My Fiancee and I would like to take on a couple of Kittens for indoor living (British Shorthairs) in early Dec, but I would really like the advice of the experts before we jump in..

1. As these Kitties will be Indoor cats, we want to take 2 from day 1 to prevent the boredom.
Who gets on the best?

Male - Male
Male - Female
Female - Female
& is it better to take 2 cats from 1 Breeder (Siblings?).

2. What Flavour?
Do different colours have different temperaments (Sounds Stupid eh!) But I heard with Dogs (Labs) the Chocolate Browns are Nuts? Or is this nonsense

3. Any advice for buying in the hampshire region?

Sorry for the long windedness of my first post

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
23-10-2006, 06:10 PM   #2

Re: Brothers, Sisters or different families?

hi kstone, welcome to catsey. In my experience 2 boys are better together as females can be quite stroppy with each other sometimes. Colours I dont know about 'cause I have a tabby, a black and white and a cream

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
23-10-2006, 06:13 PM   #3

Hi Kstone, we have a few members here who have British Shorthairs.......I'm sure they will be able to answer your questions very soon........

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
23-10-2006, 06:30 PM   #4

Hi there!
Don't know about bsh in particular but I have 2 moggie boys, 6 months old, unrelated but the same age and brought home on the same day. They are great fun and they love each other very much. No fights, except play fights, and a great deal of fun!
good luck
PS I prefer males, I think they are a little more biddable/less stroppy, but that may just be me.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
23-10-2006, 09:19 PM   #5

Hi - and a big welcome!!

I have 3 virtually-indoor persians; 2 boys and a girl. The girl seems the laziest of the 3 and the most dis-inclined to roam/wander. Mine do go outside in the garden but only under close supervision. I've kinda trained them (taken a few years mind you) not to go out of the gate/over the wall. She is a bit of a prima donna though, and does sulk for England given 1/2 a chance.

I had one of each for a long time and they got on just fine. With a 2nd male added, the 2 boys do tend to jostle for alpha cat a little, but nothing too major.

Colours? Don't know really. I don't think it matters - certainly doesn't seem to in my case (but I know what you mean about the chocolate lab . . . a workmate has one).

Siblings or non? No experience of siblings, all mine are unrelated. But I've heard it doesn't matter too much.

And sorry - no experience of BSH breeders in Hampshire. However if you find a good one I'd be interested to hear as I have a good friend who has set her heart on a British Blue and she's in West Sussex and will travel for her ideal kit.

Hope some of that at least has helped! Look forward to hearing how you get on.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
23-10-2006, 09:27 PM   #6

I have 2 British shorthairs who are half brothers as well as 3 unrelated Cats, one Persian, 2 moggies. Perosnally i dont think it makes any difference where they come from, but I will say my 2 BSH play wonderfully, and I expect thats due to their age, 4 and 14mths. They were from the same breeder. I would say that colour makes no difference, definately in dogs, but ginger cats are NORTY!!!
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
23-10-2006, 09:52 PM   #7

Hi No experience of BSH but I had two cats brother and sister for 23 years without a harsh word between them, they are both loving and soft, Oscar (the boy) was a definate wanderer and wanted to be out and about Cleo (female) is a real home body never straying far from the house. I think two kittens raised together will be fine whatever mix of sexes you choose. Karen

Karen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
23-10-2006, 10:41 PM   #8

Welcome to Catsey! No experience with BSH; but in my experience the male/female combo has always gone better; two females tended to spat; never had a two male combo. Doubt if it matters if they're siblings or unrelated; if it were my choice would take the two siblings. Do let us know what you decide and how it works out!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
23-10-2006, 10:56 PM   #9

Yes if you do go for siblings then ask the breeder to let you know "which two get on well" from what I've heard some litters have kittens in that choose to play together.

Cats owned: N/A :(
kstone is Male
24-10-2006, 11:09 AM   #10

Thanks for the help Guys -

I think you kind of confirmed our original thoughts, a couple of boys (Brothers) as it should be the safest option & they will both be happy.

I'll post some piccies when we find them (Probably end of Nov)
can't wait.