Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
28-12-2005, 04:15 PM   #1

Keeping the "Hare" warm.

Any tips from you Rabbity peeps? He has got straw etc.. but his hutch is 4.5 ft high so there is a lot of spare air if you know what I mean. He has a plastic cat kennel inside, which I pack with straw, but he digs it all out! Any suggestions?
Dawn.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
28-12-2005, 05:23 PM   #2

Re: Keeping the "Hare" warm.

Fran may be able to give you some advice Dawn as she has two lovely rabbits.....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
28-12-2005, 06:17 PM   #3

Hmmm lovely they may be but a little thick they are

I put Hay in for them to snuggle into as I think it is softer than Straw. They don't snuggle into it at all just sit on top of it I tried using paper bedding and they just do the same. I always cover the hutch over with heavy duty plastic when it is cold at night to try and keep draughts out to a degree. The worst of this weather is the water freezing up in their bottles...I would appreciate advice from anyone who has tips to stop this happening

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
28-12-2005, 06:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
The worst of this weather is the water freezing up in their bottles...I would appreciate advice from anyone who has tips to stop this happening
I used to have rabbits, but not for years now.

I have seen water bottle insulators (bit like the things you can put over outside taps) to stop them freezing.

Seen this on internet:-

Winter has suddenly arrived with a cold shock. Make sure your outdoor rabbits and guineas are kept warm and cosy with these following tips:
  • Make sure the hutch is in a sheltered position (eg against a fence or wall) and protected as much as possible from the wind
  • Use PLENTY of hay to keep them cosy and warm
  • Pin bubble wrap or a thin sheet of plastic across the wire bit of the cage (leaving a space for the
    water bottle). It's a cheap way to offer extra insulation and give them their own double glazing
  • Cover hutches up at nightime with blankets/tarpaulin even old carpet
  • Check water bottles haven't frozen up
  • Once a week, add to guinea pig water bottles a quarter of a soluble Vitamin C tablet - this will help keep their immunity up
  • If you have a shed, or a garage you DO NOT use (as exposure to fumes can kill), consider setting you hutch up in there until Spring. It'll be warmer for your pet and warmer for you when you feed and clean them out!
my bunnies are moved into a small shed during the winter ( ie a childs playhouse type shed) - this itself isn't enough to keep them warm enough during the harshest of weathers - so I installed a greenhouse heater 18 mths ago

This doesn't actually produce a large amount of heat to over heat them but its enough to stop their water from freezing a make life more comfortable for them
From Jackie

There's a microwaveable heat pad that looks just like a frisbie, it's called Snuggle Safe..............the downside is, it cost £19.99 from 0800 0684033. But my rabbit has one on his Christmas list. I have no financial attachment to this product but found it through Google search engine and thought it a good idea, I will let you know if it's appreciated.
From Michael

If you can't find decent tarpaulin, we use an old jewson bag that we had
shingle delivered in, it fits perfectly over the hutch and can be holsted up
during the day!!!
From Jenny

I have 2 rabbits and they also have snuggle safe heat pads on their xmas lists. This would cost me around £50 but I have found one on ebay for £13. Thay share that for now until I can get another one. I also suggest scrunched up newspaper on firework nights and in the winter. They can hide in this if they are scared and it also keep them warm. I put bubble wrap all round the hutch in the winter.
From Rhiannon

I have made a roof for my rabbit's run this winter. I have used thickish black plastic to cover over the top of the run for extra insulation.
From Stuart

Will try find a site that you can buy the bottle covers from...

Catsey Veteran

28-12-2005, 06:48 PM   #5

Thank you Donna I was wondering if you could get some sort of insulated covers for the bottles. Will look into it

Catsey Veteran

28-12-2005, 06:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Thank you Donna I was wondering if you could get some sort of insulated covers for the bottles. Will look into it

Look here Fran:

http://www.rossrabbits.co.uk/winterwarmers.htm

Catsey Veteran

28-12-2005, 07:11 PM   #7

Thank you very much Donna...I am going to order 2 of those bottle snugs Love those bunny sleeping bags

Catsey Veteran

28-12-2005, 07:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Thank you very much Donna...I am going to order 2 of those bottle snugs Love those bunny sleeping bags
Glad to be of help Fran - knew I had seen something suitable on all of those web pages as I am on here rather a lot!!!

Let us know how you get on with the bottle covers.

Catsey Veteran

28-12-2005, 07:17 PM   #9

Will do

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
28-12-2005, 07:36 PM   #10

What stars you are . I have a pad thing and he ate it! well nibbled all round the edge, so I dont use it. He shreds blankets and anything like that. I do use hay aswell, I tend to mix it. I have owned Rabbits for 30yrs and not had one like this! Being a Hare he has a much bigger hutch than normal, well it isnt a hutch its a kennel with a 6 X 4 run on it!

I have found some "stokboard" which we use as an insulator at work and put some of that round the inside of the hutch to add a bit of extra protection, I see how that goes. His water is ok, its inside and doesnt freeze. Thanks for your advice guys. I think this calls for a Bunny pic thread!!!
Dawn.