Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
25-05-2009, 11:45 AM   #1

Anyone want any Chinese Lantern seeds?

I recently bought some of these and didn't read properly 'til they arrived that they are poisonous in the same way potato and tomato leaves are, i'm disappointed as I love the little lanterns but it's not worth the risk with the dogs as they are likely to give it a chew at some point, especially the pup.

There are about 100 seeds, if anyone wants them just give me a shout and i'll pop them in the post, rather see them be used than binned.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
25-05-2009, 12:04 PM   #2

Re: Anyone want any Chinese Lantern seeds?

Are they also poisonous to cats random?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
25-05-2009, 12:18 PM   #3

They are poisonous to cats according to this list, Angie..

http://www.chesterfieldcats.co.uk/Ch...ats%20page.htm

Catsey Veteran

25-05-2009, 02:32 PM   #4

Yes they are poisonous to us all unfortunately, humans, cats, dogs.

I would have grown them out the front where the animals don't go but I just don't have the room round there for them.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
25-05-2009, 04:21 PM   #5

I'd love to have them, Random! As Leia never goes out they'd be fine in the back garden. There's only one roaming cat in the neighborhood that I know of (the other black cat that I thought for a heartstopping minute when I first saw him was my dear Onyx!) and I've never seen him in my yard, he'd have to scale the 6 foot fence as the gate is kept closed. I've always liked Chinese lanterns but have never grown them; wonder if it's too late to plant?

I could swap you some catnip seed if you like when it seeds!

Catsey Veteran

25-05-2009, 09:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
I'd love to have them, Random! As Leia never goes out they'd be fine in the back garden. There's only one roaming cat in the neighborhood that I know of (the other black cat that I thought for a heartstopping minute when I first saw him was my dear Onyx!) and I've never seen him in my yard, he'd have to scale the 6 foot fence as the gate is kept closed. I've always liked Chinese lanterns but have never grown them; wonder if it's too late to plant?

I could swap you some catnip seed if you like when it seeds!
Brilliant Eileen, I would love some catnip when it seeds, I will pop these in the post in the morning for you.

I have never had a problem with the cats eating plants, they only eat the grass, they do rub their teeth on woody stalks but they have never eaten random plants, the dogs however, are a different story!

Did Leia's harness arrive yet?

Catsey Veteran

25-05-2009, 09:40 PM   #7

Oh thank you, Random! I have tons of catnip so will gladly send some seed when it goes to seed. And to anyone who would like some.

Harness not here yet, but there's no post today because of the holiday..... will PM ASAP when it comes! Please send me your Paypal info!

Catsey Veteran

25-05-2009, 09:51 PM   #8

I sent it last week Eileen so i'm not sure how long they take to get there from here but should imagine it would be any time soon!

Catsey Veteran

25-05-2009, 09:56 PM   #9

It seems to vary...I've had stuff from the UK in 4 days, and as long as 10. And we've had the weekend as well as the holiday on both sides of the Pond. Am looking forward to it; not sure of the Princess' feelings!