Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Domestic S/H
09-11-2011, 09:50 PM   #1

Boosters for Smokey?

Hi everyone.

I'm looking for some unbiased advice on Smokey Joe, my 11 year old, neutered domestic s/h.

Smokey had problems with his breathing in August of this year, and after scans and x-rays he was found to have a deformed heart, which his body has been compensating for all his life, but now as old age creeps up, his body is starting to struggle to maintain the compensation. He was very lethargic and, as I said previously, his breathing was a problem.

He was put on Fortekor (normally used for renal failure in dogs, but effective in helping in heart problems for cats) and diuretic tablets, both of which he will now continue to take for the rest of his life. He has done very well on this regime so far, and is back to normal. However, I have been doing a bit of researching over the internet, and the prognosis is not particularly good, generally being months rather than years.

He is now due his booster vaccs, and I have to say, I am in two minds as to what to do. My vet says that the boosters will not hurt him, but although I trust my vet in the sense that he is a good vet, the cynical side of me is very aware that boosters are a good source of income, and do I really want to pump more chemicals into Smokey in what is likely to be the last few months of his life? Then again, what would I do if he caught anything (he does fight with a local tom cat who keeps invading his territory), or if I had to leave him for a few days and couldn't get him into his cattery because his boosters were not up to date?

What would you do?

I would appreciate any and all comments and views.

Many thanks.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
09-11-2011, 09:58 PM   #2

Re: Boosters for Smokey?

If it were me and I wanted to protect a cat like Smokey Joe from infections and bearing in mind the possibility of putting him in a cattery if I wanted a couple of days away, I would have his boosters done so long as the vet could guarantee within reason that the jab would not affect his current medical status.

Obviously that's my view only.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
09-11-2011, 10:49 PM   #3

I'm not a big fan of boosters . Could you not have an arrangement for someone to come in and take care of him if you were called away, rather than a cattery? I hate to think of his last days involving yet another vet visit and more chemicals in his system. But that's a decision only you can make. Give the dear old boy a cuddle from me.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
10-11-2011, 12:40 AM   #4

Hard one, intend to agree with Angie, having said that we have one who takes very bad reactions to Vaccs & each year it is so hard deciding what tom do so you have my sympathy

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
10-11-2011, 08:31 AM   #5

Mmmmmmm... You may also want to check out the terms of any insurance you have - some of them invalidate any claim if the boosters aren't kept up to date...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
10-11-2011, 10:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel
Mmmmmmm... You may also want to check out the terms of any insurance you have - some of them invalidate any claim if the boosters aren't kept up to date...
No they dont. They only will not allow claims agains diseases covered by vaccination.

If the Cat was mine, NO WAY would I have him boostered. Dont forget EVERY vaccine manufacturer states "Only HEALTHY animals should be vaccinated"

Cats owned: Domestic S/H
10-11-2011, 03:49 PM   #7

[quote=dandysmom;662679] Could you not have an arrangement for someone to come in and take care of him if you were called away, rather than a cattery?

I've tried this before, but unfortunately Smokey Joe is a people cat, and hates an empty house. He wandered for miles when I left him, trying to get into houses. This means that he would have to be kept inside, which he would absolutely hate - he loves his routine, in and out of his cat flap all day, and then coming in at 10 pm on the dot to curl up all night on my bed. This routine never, ever changes, whatever the season!: He loves his cattery and the lady that runs it because he has lots of company and attention. He's so laid back while he's in there, and she is the only one who can clip his claws without any problem at all. The vet can't believe it because he is a nightmare when he has to go to the surgery for anything - its gauntlets and restrainers every inch of the way! He's known as Hannibal Lector down there!

I'm finding all your comments very helpful, so if there are any more, please keep them coming.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
10-11-2011, 03:57 PM   #8

What you've written above Wanda makes me think that you should let him have his booster so that he can go to the cattery and the lady there that he loves so well - it will be a holiday for him and for you.

I do appreciate what Borderdawn says above - that vaccinations should only be given to a healthy cat but given Smokey Joe's heart condition and his need to be protected from infections that can be prevented, I think you should seek advice from your vet if you trust him or her to make a recommendation based on your cat's health needs and not on getting or not getting a fee - from what you say in your first post though I sort of doubt this.