Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
21-10-2011, 05:46 PM   #11

Re: Pip has a tick on his neck

Back now from the vet - that was a good call. Pip had a crust removed, with some fur and the site was squeezed (can't think of a better word!). Pip was an absolute angel and was brave throughout. He has a little lump at the site and the vet said he hoped the tick mouthparts have come out but we will need to keep an eye and make sure that a normal small scab forms and that there is no more pus and the lump should diminish slowly. If any oozing or bleeding happens or the lump gets larger he will need to go back. He had a long lasting antibiotic injection too.

I can't believe how well Pip behaved. Lucky that he saw one of the senior vets who is particularly fond of cats and has a good manner with them. Bless them both!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
21-10-2011, 06:00 PM   #12

Thanks for the update Angie. Poor Pip - what a well behaved boy though! Hope that's the end of it all for you.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
21-10-2011, 06:00 PM   #13

That's happy news! I do hope they got all the bits and this is an end to it. I am so impressed at how well he behaved!! Sultan would have shredded anyone who did that to him... Hope he got a treat for such exemplary manners!

Catsey Veteran

21-10-2011, 07:43 PM   #14

He's a bit zonked atm Eileen and asleep in his Pipnest. He usually gets treats at least once a day!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
21-10-2011, 10:17 PM   #15

Bet you're glad you took him to get checked. If it's a 10 day or 2 week antibiotic he should be fine. Gentle hugs to the young man in his snuggly Pipnest.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
21-10-2011, 11:57 PM   #16

Glad to hear the wee man is okxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
22-10-2011, 12:10 AM   #17

poor wee pip! glad to hear everything went well at the vets, hopefully he shouldnt need any more treatment

Catsey Veteran

22-10-2011, 10:58 AM   #18

He had the 2 week antib, truth.

Interestingly, the vet told me that he had more clients suffering from health problems caused by ticks than patients. Animals seem to have much more resistance to tick-borne diseases, such as Lyme's, than humans. Stands to reason I guess.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
22-10-2011, 12:11 PM   #19

sorry to hear about pips tick problem. Well done pip on being such a good boy at the vets. Glad to hear hes ok now angie. Hugs to him xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
22-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #20

That's one of my worst nightmares - a tick on a cat! hope Pip is over the worst now.

Thankfully as Morgan is such a light colour we often manage to spot the ticks when they're still at the spiderling, crawling about stage and can pick them off before they settle in. We have to groom him thoroughly after every woodland walk as he's so hairy and gets terribly tangled with bits of gorse and twigs so we usually get the ones we missed yesterday before they're full and drop off. (although we have found the odd sated one lying on the floor ) I'm so glad neither of the cats has picked any up yet. Unfortunately there' doesn't seem to be the perfect deterrent out there so it's a constant war with the ugly bu**ers