Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
16-10-2011, 01:14 PM   #11

Re: Fifi howling - pain or senility?

Thanks so much for the extremely helpful advice . . . I will make an appointment for her to get her blood pressure checked and also request a blood test for hyperthyroidism to be carried out.

As an aside, I finally got Fifi to settle down on an old towel instead of on the brick floor, and she only howled once last night. She's also curled up sleeping facing into the room and not crouched over with her head stuck into the corner.

MrsH - I know what you mean about the heartbreaking aspect of seeing ones cat with such a diminished quality of life. Our Balie was like that towards the end, he'd even sit in his own wee/poop and hardly notice

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
16-10-2011, 02:25 PM   #12

Yola.............I am sorry I am replying a little late.

She sounds a lot like Cleo was towards the end, she sat in the corner of the room too and yowled loudly although she like Fifi was comforted easily, it was upsetting but I have to say I never took her for tests, I just accepted her life was slowly ebbing away.
One thing that did help was I found a hot water bottle wrapped in a jumper of mine seemed to be ideal for her she would settle into that.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
16-10-2011, 09:09 PM   #13

Hyperthyroism showed itself in this way first in my Maine Coon Putney who used to yowl now and then like a lost soul in the hallway at night. Fortunately as soon as he saw me he would start to chirrup and purr again and would snuggle in to my arms.

Yola she could be grieving, or it could be a medical complaint, but the only way you'll know is by a process of elimination. I hope for your dear girl's sake you get your answer soon.

In the meantime give her plenty of comfort and warmth and love..

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
20-10-2011, 08:43 PM   #14

How is Fifi getting on a the moment Yola? Any news..?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
24-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #15

Sorry for the radio silence . . . we went to the vet on Saturday and it turns out she has very high blood pressure. The vet said her reading was 218 when 180 is considered high!

So she's straight onto tablets to help control it, which we started immediately on the Saturday. In terms of the howling, there has been a slight reduction; maybe once or twice a night, but she's still doing it. Obviously she's now on this medication for the remainder of her life so hopefully it will continue to improve. If not, then we will test for hyperthyroidism next.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
24-10-2011, 01:49 PM   #16

Poor little Fifi ..... I do hope that as the medication takes effect and her blood pressure goes down, she will start feeling better and improve generally as you say Yola. Poor love.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
24-10-2011, 03:49 PM   #17

Thanks for the update, Yola. Wish it were better news, but hopefully the meds will help....... (((hugs)))

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
24-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #18

Hi Yola, I'm glad you have found something you can treat. I would definately now recommend a general blood test and a t4 test. Although high blood pressure can occur on it's own it is often caused by hyperthyroidism, it can also lead to kidney damage. All of these are treatable and our little Spice had s good quality life after being diagnosed with all 3 of these conditions. When her thyroid was treated and she was given istin for her blood pressure it dropped back down to normal and she had a good few comfortable years while being treated for CRF.
I would also keep an eye on her eyesight as high blood pressure can cause the blood vessels behind the eye to rupture, leading to blindness. Hopefully now she is on treatment this will not happen.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
24-10-2011, 06:28 PM   #19

Poor Fifi, but atleast now you know what the problem was/is. Winston settled down a few days after starting the medication. I agree with Farthing though that these things can and do often go hand in hand with CRF and hyperthyroidism.
Love, hugs and cuddles to you both xxx

Cats owned: 2 moggies
25-10-2011, 07:40 AM   #20

This is horrible for you and fifi, I hope she is doing a little better now.