Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
04-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #11

Re: cat ill from cat show :(

Don't panic, try to just concentrate on getting them better and cross each bridge as you come to it. I don't show or breed so can't comment on anything else, but to say cat flu needs careful monitoring, especially with kittens.

I love Maine Coons, they're real characters and I hope yours all pull through, what matters right now is that they all get better.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
04-10-2011, 07:56 PM   #12

I don't know anything about kittens and showing, but my cat was born with cat flu (her Mum turned up on the door step of the person who was looking after them pregnant, so no idea of the history there...)

While, sadly, two of the litter did succumb to the flu, they were the smallest in the litter, and the one who outlived the other was still on bottles, while the rest were long since weaned...

Cloud is now a happy, healthy 1 year old cat who rarely has any issues with flu like symptoms. Nothing to really worry about - I asked the vet when I heard her sneezing a few times in a day, and was told that I didn't need to worry unless it was on an hourly (or more frequent) basis. Her eyes sometimes get a bit of sleep in them, and one of them is prone to being quite watery, but I've seen nothing to concern me, despite her being in stressful situations more than once.

I guess what I'm saying is that despite Cloud's mother being found on the street, and despite the fact that the animal lover who found her Mum not being in any way knowledgeable about the issue, most of the litter survived - so though it is worrying, you should pull through as well.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
04-10-2011, 10:24 PM   #13

I'd certainly agree to cross each bridge as it comes. Must be a nightmare nursing your cats and kittens too - can you get any practical help from friends?

You don't have to decide about keeping the kitten yet surely?

Cats owned: mainecoons birman
07-10-2011, 04:04 PM   #14

some of the kittens are fine now, its the adults that look worse dont know why, all fully vac, so upsetting.

I was keeping a boy back, but obviously after all of this its alot to take in so my mind is all over the place, cant see the trees for the woods!

Oh I have family helping, they are 7 weeks old so feeding etc, at least they arent younger would be awful to have to hand feed them.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
07-10-2011, 06:50 PM   #15

I'm glad the kittens were old enough to be eating by the time they developed the flu. My wee one and her litter were born with it, so that really complicated matters...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
09-10-2011, 05:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Is that a big NO NO then Dawn? Sorry, am no expert on breeding/showing.
Well surely its a case of being responsible? Knowing you have unvaccinated kittens at home and the most likely problem to bring home would be a respiratory infection that's most likely airborne in nature. Meaning it can attach itself to your clothes for example.

For me at least, being somebody who has showed dogs for 23yrs, it would be like going to a dog show while I had puppies at home who were very young. MADNESS!! A dog show would NEVER mean that much to me. If I got to the point where it did, it would be time to step away.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
09-10-2011, 07:34 PM   #17

Good point and makes alot of practicle sense now that I'm thinking about it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
09-10-2011, 10:22 PM   #18

Mindy had cat flu (mild) when we got her in July and she's as bright as a button now with no lasting after effects.

Cats owned: mainecoons birman
10-10-2011, 11:38 PM   #19

thanks for the replies, they are doing alot better, vet is very pleased with them, although the cat who went to the show is still ill with it, had it for many weeks now just cant seem to shake it off.

Of course in hindsight it seems silly going to show with kittens at home, incase a idiot takes a ill cat to one, but I can honesty say I dont know of a breeder who hasnt gone to a show as they have kittens at home, some of them had more than one litter, some are very big breeders and alot go round the country and are at every single show.

a friend recomended a herbal product that we have been using which has helped the kittens to, so its less stressful here now, but still a bit stressful, if you see what I mean!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
11-10-2011, 01:09 AM   #20

Glad to hear they are all a wee bit better xx