Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: one bengal mix, 2 tabbys
04-05-2013, 06:33 AM   #1

separating cats after fighting

Hi everyone,

Need some expert advice from the more experienced cat owners here.

Quick background. One female cat (almost 5), spayed; two males (brothers, almost 4). Had all of them since they were kittens.

Up until 2 weeks ago, no problems at all. All are indoor cats with access to an 18ft cat run. Never had fighting from them.

Then a stray cat wandered onto our fence while they were outside and the two boys had a fight...fur flying and everything. Terrifying, but managed to get them apart. Separated them for a while, and they were ok. This happened a couple more times (even though i was trying to keep an eye out for the stray, it must have come in the minute or so i had my back turned).

So I resolved to only let them out for a little bit while I was outside in the cat run with them....a pain, but they seemed ok with that. Until yesterday when they attacked each other for no reason.

The female, although she doesn't fight as such, obviously gets very aggressive and hissy when this happens and it's really hard getting them all apart.

Now, the two boys are not neutered...I have an appointment for them to be so in just over a weeks time (13th)...at the moment, I have got one in the room with me...and the female and other boy are roaming the rest of the house....I plan on switching this over throughout the day.

The reason for this, is because last night, even when they had calmed down and we let them back together, they started staring at each other and I just managed to get one of them in the kitchen before all hell broke loose again.

So my question...is it acceptable to separate them until they have their surgery?

We also have a dog, who also gets very stressed when they fight...and honestly...it just terrifies me. I am so scared now to reintroduce them.

I miss the days when they all got along , feeling very down right now and could use some advice.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
04-05-2013, 07:14 AM   #2

Re: separating cats after fighting

Oh dear, after all this time, seems the stray has put the cat among the , er, cats! I'd try some Feliway as it gives off calming pheromones, and I'm sure the neutering will settle them down. I'd stick with the separation in the short term if it means peace in the house, rotate the 'favouritism' so they each get your scent and with you feeling calmer this will help them settle down. Hope this helps, Tigger.

04-05-2013, 07:19 AM   #3

Hi

thanks for replying...indeed the stray seems to be the one who caused all this

I thought about Feliway, but the thing is, I can't get out to buy some and it being bank holiday...any I order online will not come for a good few days.

Keeping them separated like this is a pain in the backside but definitely more peaceful and stress free.

So you don't think keeping them apart like this for a few days will harm in the long run?

I am making sure I give them all attention and fuss.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
04-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #4

Oh dear, sounds terrible.
Neutering may well help calm the two of them down again but it will take some time for all the hormones to settle after neutering. Are they both booked in the same day for the chop?
Whether they are or not, you may have to re-introduce them, which would be a little easier if they are both done on the same day as they will both be a little groggy.
I have found a few links which may well help and I wish you all the very best.
http://www.catsinternational.org/art...ther_cats.html

http://www.best-cat-art.com/fighting-cats.html

http://www.askthecatdoctor.com/fighting-cats.html

04-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #5

Hi,

Yes, they are both booked for the same day.

Today has been peaceful if a little difficult to keep swapping them all around the rooms. Something inside me just tells me that they're not ready to be together again yet. The female cat has been alternating...with Sol, then with Luna...she can go where she likes, she's not the problem.

I also haven't let them out at all today because I was thinking that maybe it was the smell of the stray cat that started things off the other day.

I currently have two litter boxes and three sets of food and water, and there have been no problems with that...when I switch rooms, they have using the same stuff as the other one had been.

The thing I am most worried about is that if i keep them separated for too long, they will 'forget' each other. Does that sound stupid?

My plan was to keep them like this for now and maybe in a couple of days, let them sniff each other at the door crack, and see what happens.

I am so sad about this. I used to open the window for them in the morning and they would be in and out all day, playing with each other. Right now, it just seems so hopeless.

04-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #6

Oh and thanks for the links...I read them and took note

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
04-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #7

Try rubbing them both down with a soft cloth over the next few days, especially under their chins, rub one down and then the other using the same cloth. Also swap their bedding around.
Is there any way you can deter other cats from coming into your garden?

04-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #8

Unfortunately, no I can't stop other cats from coming in. I have no idea why this one even started coming in, although I haven't seen it for a few days.

I will try the cloth thing. Thanks for your help

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
04-05-2013, 11:42 PM   #9

I would put Feliway in every room of the house where the cats are. Our vet is open on the Bank Holiday and Pets at Home sell it, just checked their website x

05-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #10

Hi Velvet,

Might try Feliway, but it would be expensive to put all around the house.

Update...today, I opened the door a little bit and let them see each other....didn't go well. Tails puffed a little, just stared at each other and were clearly not happy about it.

I am praying that the neutering calms things down (although I know it will take time for the hormoes to go completely)....otherwise my only option will be to give one away. And that breaks my heart, to think of that.