Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Tortie
24-01-2013, 01:59 AM   #11

Re: Please help

ok maybe i did over react to the reply i got from Elaine, but in my defence the last thing i expected was the suggestion that i was unfair and irresponsible.

Instead of taking the time to ask without knowing the circumstances surrounding my cats pregnancy.

I was so worried about the kittens i just wanted to do my best for them and mum.

To answer Velvet, my little girl is about 2 years old she belonged to an old lady who lived a few doors away, she used to come into our garden and play with my Jasper who WAS neutered.

We lost Jasper to cancer last Summer which was devastating as he was only a year old and i cannot express how much we miss him.

She still came into our garden and we kept returning her to the old lady who owned her,but the old lady wasn't well and asked me if i would care for her cat, which i was more than happy to do, she told me she has been spayed and i had no reason not to believe her.

The old lady passed away in october last year and her son asked us we we wanted to keep her cat and as she was already a huge part of our family we were more than happy to adopt her.

I had no idea she was pregnant until December when i noticed her tummy slightly swollen, so took her to the vet, he confirmed my suspicions and also said she was healthy and said she was around 2 years old.

The kittens arrived, mum and kittens are all very healthy warm and well looked after, i would never sell them i intend keeping one and the other
two are going to live with my sister.

And Elaine i have the good grace to thank you for your advise and to confirm mum has now settled down and is no longer removing the kittens to my bed, i made her a bigger box with high sides and covered the top and made a gap for her to get in and out.

I sit with her until she sleeps and keep a close watch on the kittens who are just perfect.

I will be having her spayed as it is not, and was never my intention to bring unwanted kittens into the world.

As i have said the kittens won't be unwanted and will have the best life me and my sister can give them.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
24-01-2013, 08:36 AM   #12

Cath, I have no wish to get into a cat fight, from my point of view, I gave some friendly advise and made a plea for her to be spayed. Thats it.
How ever, in light of what you have recently posted, I find it hard to believe that an un-neutered cat, at the age of two, who got out door access from her previous owner, has not already had atleast one litter of kittens prior to this one.
Cats are prolific breeders and Toms will travel miles in search of a female in heat. I understand that she didnt belong to you prior to this and that the old woman was sick or whatever, therefore spaying wouldnt have been your responsibility at that time but I'd put money on it that this poor cat has had kittens before.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
24-01-2013, 09:34 AM   #13

I am glad to hear that your cat and kittens have settled now and that you are no longer worried about them falling off your bed. Bless you for taking on this cat, and for letting us know her history as far as you know it. I am sure that cat and kittens will be loved and cared for.

So sorry to hear about Jasper.

24-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
I am glad to hear that your cat and kittens have settled now and that you are no longer worried about them falling off your bed. Bless you for taking on this cat, and for letting us know her history as far as you know it. I am sure that cat and kittens will be loved and cared for.

So sorry to hear about Jasper.
thank you for your kinds words, i feel so lucky to have her.

When the kittens are old enough i will take some photos and post them.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
24-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #15

glad to hear you have sorted out the problem with the box, she must feel more secure now.
Sorry to hear about you're loss of jasper, it's alsways heartbreaking. Good to hear the mother cat and kittens are all sorted with homes.
What's her name ?

24-01-2013, 09:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley123
glad to hear you have sorted out the problem with the box, she must feel more secure now.
Sorry to hear about you're loss of jasper, it's alsways heartbreaking. Good to hear the mother cat and kittens are all sorted with homes.
What's her name ?
Hi Shelley

my little girls name is Bonny, we are keeping one of the kittens ourself and have already named her Bella, my sister has yet to meet the two babies she is adopting.

She will come over to see them when they are a bit older. she has always had cats and had a
year gap after loosing her Milly after 12 years, and she now feels ready to have two new babes.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
24-01-2013, 11:24 PM   #17

look foward to getting to know you and you're feline family

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
25-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #18

Cath, thank you for coming back and explaining the situation. I'm so sorry that you lost Jasper; I think most of us here can share you pain.

And thanks too for taking little Bonny on - you're a braver woman than I in terms of helping to rear newborn kittens!

I look forward to seeing pictures of the kittens

25-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #19

thanks again i feel it was the right thing to do and explain my situation.

the kittens are 7 days old now and one is just starting to open his eyes, they are even crawling around the nesting box.

As soon as the kittens eyes open i will take some photos.

Bonny has now settled into a routine, and even leaves the babies for short periods and come downstairs for some one to one time with us, but she is a brilliant mum.

I wondered if i should be feeding Bonny on kitten food while she is feeding the kittens or should i supplement her food with vitamins?

At the moment she has Pro Plan Adult Complete Cat Food with Chicken, and fresh cooked chicken 3 times a week and Whiskas Pouches.

not sure if i should have put a separate post up about the food in another section sorry in advance if thats the case.

Cath x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
25-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #20

Yes, kitten food would have been better during and after her pregnancy. Has she been checked over by a vet? Or call them for a bit of advice re. the food situation. They may suggest supplementing her with Lactol or just to give her kitten food.....