Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
13-12-2012, 03:35 AM   #1

Seven weeks down the line...

Well we have had our trial six weeks on Royal Canin Sensitivity diet. Actually its seven weeks as I mis-counted the weeks. Jac still has diarrhea

I do have to say it is not hindering him in any way, he does have a lot of not so nice flatuence but no blood or mucous. He is growing and thriving and getting ever bigger and longer haired.

I had 7-8 bags of Hills kitten food - broke my heart having to get rid of it. However it went to a good cause - local cat rescue.

He is now six months and I had intended to get him neutered this month, however that was all supposing the diarrhea had cleared, which it hasnt I am going to let the neuter slide into January, I daresay a few weeks here or there wont make much of a difference

To me the flatuence indicates a dietary intolerance - ie the RC isnt agreeing with him either. Ive tried fish and chicken to no avail - he likes it and gobbles it up with glee

I did have the suggestion of Pro Plan delicate so might try it - have bag of RC to finish first - it wont last long with six of them eating it & now the colder weather is here they are all eating a lot more. One thing for certain our cats have good appetites.

Here is an updated photo of Jac. He never looks as if he has a long coat from the front It is however quite long and getting longer - daily grooming is a must x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
13-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #2

Re: Seven weeks down the line...

Well from that photo and I would say he is a picture of health. He is a stunner. Thing with cats is I have always thought because you have no control of what they eat when out of site you are hard pressed to be in control unless your cat is a house cat.
I would say the upset tummy does lead you to an intolerance - now the thing is finding a food that he tolerates or better still thrives on. Maybe its a case of working through or maybe sticking at it for longer than 6 weeks maybe 3 months -see how it goes.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
13-12-2012, 10:06 AM   #3

Velvet - he's gorgeous! You may or may not remember when Kizzy first arrived she had the most awful trumpet trousers and I found that RC Digestive Comfort suited her best ....... I'm not sure of what the difference is between that and RC Sensitivity though. I offer both Kizzy and Pip ProPlan Adult/half and half with ProPlan Light and Digestive Comfort. They can then choose - atm they are both more interested in the Digestive Comfort - it does seem to vary from bag to bag.

Here's a link to the composition of Digestive Comfort
http://www.royalcanin.co.uk/products...ive-comfort-38

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
13-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #4

Thanks Angie will look into the foods. I know this coukd be a long trial & error thing with the food & getting one to suit. The day he does a solid poo, i will be over the moon

Called at the vets today (dog food) & said to mention to the vet that the RC hadnt worked. Vet nurse gave me some samples of a new food for cats specifically aimed at controlling diarrhea & regulating the digestive system. Hills feline i/d. So, we will see how that goes.

Kazz - first vet said RC should work within 2 weeks, other partner said 6 weeks. I really dont think being on it any longer will help much. I have unopened bag which they say they will take back.

He is a lovely kitten with lovely way with him, very cuddly & affectionate. Have to say he loves the RC, they all do its great to have good feeders