Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Closed Thread

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Mixbreeds
05-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #1

Tempting a cat to eat?

A couple of days ago I noticed my normally rather plump 7.5 year old male, Oscar felt unsually boney. I can feel his spine, and he's lost weight though his thick fur makes it difficult to tell.

He's an indoor cat, along with my 3 year old male, and is off his food. He's still drinking and weeing in their litter box, but I don't think he's pooing much if at all.

I can't get him into the vets until Saturday, but is there anything I can do in the meantime to encourage him to eat? He normally gets Iams biscuits and a Whiskas pouch, but isn't interested in either apart from picking at them a little.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
05-12-2012, 10:07 PM   #2

Re: Tempting a cat to eat?

sorry to hear about Oscar and hope the vet can provide some answers on sat.
I always used to find warm chicken pieces useful for tempting appetites. How about whiskas milk, pilchards ? Sometimes slightly warming the food helps

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
05-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #3

Oh dear, is there no way you can get him to the vet sooner?
http://felinecrf.org/persuading_cat_to_eat.htm
~I am not suggesting your cat has crf but it does have a good section on getting cats to eat.

Catsey Junior

05-12-2012, 10:58 PM   #4

Thanks for the link Elaine. I am worried about him, I've got our shop keys so I have to drop them in tomorrow morning, but will try to swap my day off from Saturday to tomorrow to get him in sooner.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 2 moggies = DLH and DMH
06-12-2012, 02:39 AM   #5

sorry to hear Oscar is not wanting to eat... maybe try some kitten food wet or dry or both if you like..... the added bonus with foods formulated for kittens is they are high in calories and have extra nutrients to cater for their growing little bodies... so even if he only eats a little he will be getting extra calories... let us know how he
goes..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
06-12-2012, 04:04 AM   #6

Try a wee bit of tuna perhaps?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
06-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #7

I hope that you can tempt Oscar and that you can get him to the vet. I found that finger feeding raw beef mince (prev. frozen) always worked with my old boy Merlin. Fingers crossed, do let us know.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
06-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #8

hope Oscar is ok

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
07-12-2012, 01:38 AM   #9

Any news?

Catsey Junior

08-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #10

Hi everyone. We got to the vet on Friday evening - the vet couldn't feel any blockages, though Oscar's breath was a particular sort of smelly (can't remember the name, sorry!). Oscar has been drinking and urinating more than usual, so the vet thought it might be a kidney infection. He got 2 shots of steriods which the vet said should've boosted/returned his appetite by tonight, and antibiotics to give twice daily from Sunday to Wednesday.

I'm still concerned, as Oscar has only eaten a couple of small mouthfuls today, and has been uninterested in any tasty things I've offered, instead turning his nose up in favour of drinking more water :/

Our vet said to come back on Monday if there's been no change, or to wait till the anitbiotics are finished on Wednesday.

Any thoughts?

Closed Thread