Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: 4 domestic incl. 2 Manx mixes
DC1346 is Male
06-10-2012, 08:26 PM   #1

My Cats Won't Come Inside

Hello All,

I have four cats. Two are older cats, 11 year old Manx mixes. My third is a cat who was literally rescued as an abandoned kitten from under my neighbor's porch when I lived in PA. I nursed him back to health with the expectation of turning him over to the Humane Society. He's now been with me for 6 years. The fourth cat is my adventure kitty. She's a Tuxedo cat who was rescued from the county shelter in Arizona. She's three years old.

I live in Arizona and to help keep myself sane, I have 3 ponds in my backyard. The ponds form a U. The base of the U is formed by the main pond which is 5,000 gallons. The deepest part of the pond is 4 ft. deep. The arms of the U consist of two partially raised ponds that feed into the main pond via two creeks.

The ponds are filled with vibrant greenery ... cattail and water chestnut rushes ... umbrella plants ... water mint ... frog bits (which look like mini lily pads). The ponds are home to koi, goldfish, and innumerable mosquito fish.

The backyard is fenced and the backdoor has a pet door so that my cats may come and go as they please. In the past the cats have enjoyed a morning routine of laying in wait for birds and lizards to drink from the pond at dawn and sunset. They also enjoy sunbathing, chewing fresh grass, and sleeping under the shade of a shrub.

Last Tuesday I came home from work to find the house infested with fleas. The cats were crying and were covered with bites. They sat in the backyard scratching themselves and crying. They quite properly refused to come indoors.

I went to Wal-Mart to get some pet flea spray and ordered some additional medication from Amazon.com. I also went to Home Depot and picked up some flea spay for the house.

I sprayed every square inch of the house. By the time I was finished, I had dozens of flea bits on both ankles and shins. I also called an exterminator who said that he would come on Thursday.

Since the cats wouldn't come inside, I set up a folding cot and put their kitty beds on the cot. I also put food and water outside.

The exterminator came on Thursday but the cats remained outdoors. On Friday afternoon, I enticed two of the cats to come indoors. I opened the back door, sat in a recliner, and patted my lap. Bob bounded into the house and leaped onto my lap. Scraps sat in the doorway, wailing for attention. He finally scurried across the floor and also jumped into my lap. One of the reason I like my recliner is that it has wide arm rests. This allows two cats to share my lap if the cats spread part of their bodies onto the arm rests.

The cats fell asleep in my lap which was fine since I had an e-book on my kindle to read. After waking up they both left and returned outdoors.

Bob came back inside at dinner time to demand his moist dinner. I tried enticing the other cats inside but they wouldn't come in. I've tried catnip, kitty treats, and waving their favorite toys. They sit outside the doorway and yowl but won't step inside.

Bob spent the night sleeping on my recliner but even he wouldn't come into the bedroom. The other cats stayed outdoors. Prior to the discovery of fleas, all four cats followed a very set routine that included joining me when I went to bed. I typically sleep in the middle of the bed. Bob sleeps by my left side and Scraps sleeps on the right. Jasper Baby and Tabitha being of low social ranks in the feline hierarchy have been relegated to sleeping at the foot of my bed.

I miss my cats. I'm torn between enabling them by leaving the kitty beds and dry food outside ... and trying to force them to come inside by removing their cot, beds, and food. I've also though about physically picking them up and carrying them inside.

At this time, I'm letting them be. Bob is the Alpha cat so perhaps with his leadership, the other cats will come in.

Does anyone have any constructive thoughts about how to restore what used to be a happy cat household? It's starting to get cold outside.

Regards,

David

Cats owned: 4 domestic incl. 2 Manx mixes
DC1346 is Male
10-10-2012, 12:57 AM   #2

Re: My Cats Won't Come Inside

It's been three days since I wrote about my cats. During this time, I've enticed two of the cats into the parlor with a bag of kitty treats. I subsequently got them to come into the bedroom. Last night, 3 cats spent the night in-doors. Only one cat remains outdoors, though he came in this morning for his moist breakfast.

Cats clearly have better senses than people. As the odor from the pest control visit wears off and the cats realize that the fleas are gone, I think they'll begin spending more and more time indoors.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 BEAUTIFULL CATS!! BEAU AND JOY
JMPARK is Male
10-10-2012, 09:28 AM   #3

Re: My Cats Won't Come Inside

That's great news DC1346!! I am glad they have started to come back into the bedroom. Your right when you say they have better senses than people!! Just keep showing them your love and they will return to normality ime sure!!