Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: N/A
26-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #1

cat is trying to suckle from me

what do i do, he's 10 weeks old tomorrow and is coming on me and licking my cheek or hand and then sucking and clawing me.
So confused.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
26-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #2

Re: cat is trying to suckle from me

Your kitten is probably just trying to comfort itself, the sucking will no doubt remind him of mum.
I don't know if you should discourage this behaviour or not to be honest. Perhaps someone else can help.
I did have a cat that liked to suck cream coloured jumpers worn by people. I always thought that maybe her mum had a cream tum ?

Catsey Junior

26-08-2012, 07:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley123
Your kitten is probably just trying to comfort itself, the sucking will no doubt remind him of mum.
I don't know if you should discourage this behaviour or not to be honest. Perhaps someone else can help.
I did have a cat that liked to suck cream coloured jumpers worn by people. I always thought that maybe her mum had a cream tum ?
Aw thanks, I think it's sweet

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
27-08-2012, 07:56 AM   #4

My first cat did this, but he was found as a stray kitten aged about 4 weeks so I put it down to the fact he was taken from mum too early. We never discouraged it because he seemed to get a feeling of security from it. Don't know if it was the right thing to do.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
27-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #5

It's certainly a security thing and your kitten may grow out of this behaviour naturally. If it doesn't hurt you and he gets comfort from it I would tend to neither encourage nor discourage it but maybe try and distract him and see if that works, using a toy or a bit of string ........ gentle distraction is what I'd recommend but don't push it, I am sure it's because he left his mum too early.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
27-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #6

Agree with Angie x

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Moggies
27-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #7

I have 4 cats....2 that left mum at appox 4 weeks (abandoned), and 2 that were found in a field at approx 10-12 weeks.

The ones who were found at 10-12 weeks suckle and always have done (approx 1 year old now), the other 2 don't!
They love fleece blankets to suckle on!

Catsey Junior

27-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hevvur
I have 4 cats....2 that left mum at appox 4 weeks (abandoned), and 2 that were found in a field at approx 10-12 weeks.

The ones who were found at 10-12 weeks suckle and always have done (approx 1 year old now), the other 2 don't!
They love fleece blankets to suckle on!
he's 10 weeks today! I presume it's still normal for kittens to miss their mums?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
28-08-2012, 11:13 PM   #9

My Izzi who is 2yrs suckles on my fluffy dressing gown - usually when I'm trying to drink a mug of coffee - it doesn't seem to do her any harm. Although she was born outdoors she has been around people all her life and was weaned at right time etc. I agree it is nothing to worry about.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
29-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #10

My Broxi used to do this a lot! He's 7 now, and still occasionally does it to a fleece blanket. He still kneads a lot, expecially if I am wearing a fluffy jumper