Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
17-07-2012, 03:17 PM   #1

18 Year Old cat Yowling

My cat Rags is 18 and in good health, but he yowls, all through the day (well whenever he is actually awake) and loves to yowl loudly between the hours of 12 - 6am...... it is driving me and my husband round the bend. Unfortunatly theres no area we can shut him at night to stop it waking us up.
I've read it can be because of hearing loss which I'm sure he has, this is probably why he yowls so loudly, What can I do? Is there anyway to stop it? or even make it a little better?
Help!! lol I love him but hes driving me crazy!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
17-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #2

Re: 18 Year Old cat Yowling

Hiya, you need to get your cat to a vet asap, there is a good chance he has high blood pressure, this can be part in parcel of several illness' such as hyper active thyroid, chronic renal failure and in some cases senility.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
17-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #3

Hi Thanks for your reply, he has regular check ups and is fine.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
17-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #4

My 17 year old boy does this too, he has been checked over by the vet, nothing wrong with him, I do think though he is getting a bit, what I call doolally!

Catsey Veteran

17-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz5
Hi Thanks for your reply, he has regular check ups and is fine.

When was his last check up? Did they run bloods? Did they take his blood pressure? Cats DONT yowl like that for no reason.

Catsey Veteran

17-07-2012, 09:30 PM   #6

http://www.fabcats.org/behaviour/und...g/oldcats.html

http://www.vetinfo.com/catold.html/#b

http://www.messybeast.com/nighttime-calling.htm

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
17-07-2012, 10:00 PM   #7

My older cat did this, and she had extremely high bloody pressure. Perhaps you could ask your vet to check this if it's not already been done?

We thought she was getting senile or pining for one of our other oldies which we had recently lost but it wasn't the case.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: tabby cat
17-07-2012, 10:13 PM   #8

My cat Minnie is about 16 years old and does the yowling sometimes in the day and sometimes at night.She had her blood pressure checked and that was fine,she has had her thyroids removed and tests to check thats all ok.She is on medication for kidney problems and is checked regularly and her kidneys have stayed the same so far.The vet has put the yowling down to the start of her going senile.We find if we call her name(even in the middle of the night) and talk to her she stops yowling,comes and finds us and has a cuddle.Sometimes its like she forgets we are there and needs some reassurance.

Catsey Veteran

17-07-2012, 10:37 PM   #9

My dear departed Winston was a bit like that Jacks. He did have CRF and high blood pressure. My O/H used to laugh and say I was on automatic pilot through the night. Winston would Yowl and I'd imediately just get out of bed and go find him, take him back with me for a cuddle.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
17-07-2012, 10:58 PM   #10

I agree with Elaine, the one cat I had who yowled turned out to be hyperthyroid but high blood pressure and senility can also cause it.