Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
11-06-2012, 11:10 PM   #1

Hair pulling/obsessive grooming, thoughts?

Since William's untimely death Maxwell, his brother, has been quite stressed out. Despite our best efforts very little seems to be comforting him, he spends most of his time around the house now...seldomly venturing out, he has the dogs and us for company but is most definitely lost in himself. And since a week or so after his death, maybe even a few days, he has developed a habbit of really obsessive grooming which turns into hair pulling. It is usually proceeded by him seeming quite anxious, mewing and pacing etc, followed by him settling down and starting to groom..then licking too hard..then really getting locked on to grooming (to the point I tried to move his head and could not!), to then biting his skin as he does it, then pulling the hair.
I at first wondered if there was a problem with him physically, vet has deemed him fine..no skin or hair complaints. But he seemed to think it's more of a stress thing, a pining thing. I've tried a feliway plug in, extra hooded beds around, toys *no interest*, treats *not bothered*, spending time alone with him etc but nothing seems to be working.
Any advice folks?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
12-06-2012, 07:25 AM   #2

Re: Hair pulling/obsessive grooming, thoughts?

http://www.medicanimal.com/product/~...FUdItAodHBmjMA

How about some zylkene capsules to help alleiviate a little of his stress.
Maybe that, a little more time and patience and what you are already doing will help.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
12-06-2012, 07:56 AM   #3

I would try interecting with him Luke, take his mind off "whastever" that causes his grooming; if you think about it doctors advise people with depression to excercise . So same should work for Maxwell. I am sure he will recover well, cats live in the present and do not understand the concept of "death" he just needs to adjust.

Catsey Veteran

Luke is Male
12-06-2012, 09:16 AM   #4

Thanks both, I don't for one minute believe he understands death...just that he wonders where William is more than anything, or maybe if it's not even to that extent just a concern over the change around him. Have tried to keep him as entertained as possible, he's having none of it. He's not going out as much either at the minute which I don't think is helping. Will check your link thanks Elaine.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
12-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #5

Sorry to hear about Maxwell, Luke. He's pining - although he doesn't understand death as we do, he is missing his brother. I'd try the zylkene and keep up trying to distract him - there will be a turning point and he'll suddenly start taking interest again hopefully.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
12-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #6

Try some felliway plug ins too, they used to work a bit for my old stressy boy Balie. Also some flower remedy in Maxwell's water might help.

I hope he's feeling brighter soon . . . poor love.

Catsey Veteran

Luke is Male
13-06-2012, 09:23 PM   #7

He came for a walk with me and the dogs today over the fields, something he used to do a lot...or we'd bump into him mousing over there. He just seems so very stressed out, I had to go out to an appointment today..only gone about half an hour and came home to find he had created a hot spot and clearly been licking so much it'd began to make him heave, as was vomitting up hairballs afterwards...very big ones too!
Will keep trying to find something to bring him back to normality...

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
13-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #8

Luke, I found this article to be very good at understanding a cat's behaviour when they grieve for a feline companion. I hope that in some way it will help you understand Maxwell's behaviour and help him through his stress....

http://www.messybeast.com/cat-grief.htm