Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Fabulous moggies!
07-05-2012, 11:34 AM   #1

Help please! New cat hates my old cats!

Hi all!

I have two cats, Harvey who is 16 and Charlie who is 2. They are both such chilled calm lovely boys and the house is always settled and calm. Until now!!

I have bought in a youngster, billy who is 11 months and not neutered. He came from a home with his unneutered mum, dad and mums new kittens (from another father).

Since the kittens were born 4 weeks ago, billy became so incredibly timid and his dad has been extremely aggressive towards him, causing a terrible leg wound. Unsuprisingly billy is now petrified of other cats (the reason the original owners have rehomed him).

Billy absolutely detests my cats and hisses and makes a heck of a fuss if they come in view of him. My cats just want to sniff him and make friends but he's not having any of it.

Did I make a mistake allowing him instant run of the house? He has taken over Harvey's bed which used to be Harvey's haven, and Charlie won't come on my bed any more and although both are still their normal loving selves, I can see them both distancing themselves from me, Unsuprisingly!

It has been two days so very early days yet. Billy doesn't attack my cats, just makes a huge fuss and noise!

Is this normal behaviour? Will it improve? Will neutering help and could it be because he is intact?

So sorry for all the questions, I feel my home has gone from calm and serene to stressed and upset aaaargh what have I done?!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
07-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #2

Re: Help please! New cat hates my old cats!

Take a very big deep breathe and calm down.
Do you have a spare room that the new cat can go into for now? If so then that's probably the way to go for now. Lots of scent swapping etc. Once this youngster has had his plums removed, it may take a month or so for his hormones to settle. But am pretty sure all will be fine.

Catsey Senior

07-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #3

Thanks Elaine. As always, I am so grateful for your replies.

As you suggested, I have put Billy in the kitchen (it's a reasonable space) with his own litter tray, bed, toys, food and water bowls. My other two now have the run of the house and of course have their own equipment in the lounge as well.

I have booked Billy in for his first vaccinations tomorrow and will book in neutering at that appointment.

Scent swapping.... stupid question but would that be swapping beds, etc?

Feel a bit sad for Billy, being on his own in the kitchen but I'm popping in as often as possible to give him some fuss.

Thanks again Elaine x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
07-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #4

Yes, sorry, scent swapping, swapping bedding around, rub cats down with the same soft cloth, chin, cheeks and face. You might even want to try feeding the cats close to the closed door.
Its very early days and your new boy has had quite a scare re: his recent injury from previous home. That coupled with the fact that he is entire......
It will all settle down given a little time, organisation and patience. x

Catsey Senior

07-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #5

Excellent thank you so much. Actually the kitchen door has quite a large gap underneath and Charlie already keeps peering underneath to see what Billy is doing (of course he is still being 'welcomed' with a giant hiss lol) .

Right I will try the scent swapping thing, I have some soft flannels which I think would do the trick.

Thank you!!