Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
14-08-2009, 09:51 AM   #1

Cholesterol levels

I was just wondering does anybody have any advice on Cholesterol levels and have any good tips on foods to help lower their levels as my dad last year was told he had high levels after a blood test, infact they were that high he is now permantly on medication.
Now my brother has also been told he has high levels and is now on medication.
I have been told that I should go and have mine checked as it could be genetical, the only time I will get chance to go now is in September, but I was just wondering if anybody could give me some advice if they have encountered or had to deal with it before.
Thanks Pauline

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: N/A
14-08-2009, 10:25 AM   #2

Re: Cholesterol levels

Cholestrol is in my family.

My dad go told he had high cholesterol about 15 years ago if not more. His mum had it.

My dads was 9 or 10 point something when he found out and has been on medication all those years, its now been down to 5 point something for a while. He has like Benecol butter which helps to reduce it, other than that he just generally eats what we eat and takes tablets after. But if we have chicken he will remove the skin and pies they are not good. So if he does eat things like that at parties and stuff he just takes his tablets after it.

Me and my brother went to have ours done 10 yeas ago, my brothers was 3.5 (think its oe upto 4 point somthin now) and mine was 3.4, mine will probably be sky high now (I should have it done really but not got the time and the nurse is only there one day when I cant get there)

My mum went to get her's done a few weeks ago and the doctor couldnt believe it, she said she had never seen the good Cholestrol so high in enyone before. My mum eats alot of tomatoes and prawns (even though praws have got loads of bad cholestrol in them they also have loads of good)

Catsey Veteran

14-08-2009, 10:32 AM   #3

Thanks Janey, my dads was 8 to 9 points which has now gone down to about 6 I think my brothers was just over 6 points, so i do really need to go and get it checked, but like I said I haven`t really got time until September when the kids go back to school.
Hope my test comes back as good as your mums I would be really happy

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: N/A
14-08-2009, 10:35 AM   #4

I know, I take after my dads side really but I just hope I take after my mum with the good Cholesterol.

Good luck when you find out keep us up to date

Catsey Veteran

14-08-2009, 10:38 AM   #5

Will do , and thanks again.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
14-08-2009, 11:39 AM   #6

MIL was diagnosed as having high cholesterol a few years ago and her doctor wanted to put her on medication. She is on various other sorts of meds for diabetes and high blood pressure and has a bit of a tricky tummy, understandably. OH said he would prefer that we try and treat it with diet in the first instance and the GP agreed to see if that worked. We put MIL on Benacol - I know there's hype about it and it is expensive, but it worked. Her cholesterol is now at normal levels and she now has an ordinary olive oil based spread, and her levels are still OK.

Worth a try?

Catsey Veteran

14-08-2009, 11:44 AM   #7

Thanks Angie, thats to votes for Benacol then so far that appears to have worked, I think I will get some to try and see what happens when I go in for the tests .
Hopefully they will be OK and I am just worrying about nothing.
Will tell my dad and brother about the Benacol as well so they can try it.

Catsey Veteran

14-08-2009, 12:10 PM   #8

Great - hope it works for your family. I'm not on commission from Benacol btw!!!

Catsey Veteran

14-08-2009, 12:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Great - hope it works for your family. I'm not on commission from Benacol btw!!!

You will tell me anything

Catsey Veteran

14-08-2009, 12:31 PM   #10

Naaaaa - you don't believe that really, do you?