Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
03-08-2007, 04:25 PM   #1

I wormed Onyx

yesterday. I don't know if she has them, but I've become a bit concerned that she's so skinny, even with two good meals a day for almost 9 months now. She eats ravenously but doesn't put on any weight. Otherwise she seems healthy: nice shiny coat and bright eyes, and her ears are clean. I know she doesn't have fleas as I've flea-combed her with no signs. Maybe she's just genetically programmed to be a thin cat...??
Anyhow, I got some liquid liver-flavored wormer and added it to a tin of Liver and Chicken, which she inhaled as usual. Have to do it again in 10 days.
Have any of you ever wormed your cat/s, and if so, when can you notice a difference in weight?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
03-08-2007, 04:32 PM   #2

Re: I wormed Onyx

I worm Jerry regularly Eileen and he eats 2 pouches a day plus his dry food that he munches on all day and hes still a thin cat,his mom and sister are thin too so Im not to worried

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
03-08-2007, 04:39 PM   #3

Hmmm, maybe I'm worrying unnecessarily then, but she is really a thin cat: you can feel her backbone and ribs!! Well, I suppose it won't hurt her, but I do wish she'd put on a bit of weight.......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
03-08-2007, 04:57 PM   #4

I worm denis every three months I put that spot on on the back of his neck. He has three sachets a day plus biscuits plus tit bits and he is slender and always has been. I wouldn't worry too much as she is still growing and active.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
03-08-2007, 05:01 PM   #5

I think it's a good idea to worm Onyx anyway. Bet she hunted for her meals before she met you and may well have ingested worm eggs.
But she may be meant to be a skinny bit!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
03-08-2007, 05:15 PM   #6

My Lucky was always a very skinny girl - for 18 years, she was never any different. I think cats are much like humans in that some are prone to put on weight more easily. Plus she'll keep thinner due to more exercise living outdoors and in winter burning off excess fat to keep warm. I think you are used to seeing more rotund cats Eileen, so Onxy as a possibly, naturally slim cat strikes you as odd

I do think it's a good idea to worm her regularly though if you are able. A sign of worms is often a slimmish body with a rather swollen, firm belly.....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
03-08-2007, 06:04 PM   #7

I buy the worming "treats" which Misty gulps down, but Chloe didnt eat her last lot... what other methods other than eating is there to worm a cat? I have tried the granules on food too but Chloe wont eat those either...

Catsey Veteran

03-08-2007, 06:31 PM   #8

Donna, there is a spot on wormer, that you use like the spot on flea drops. Is it called Profender or have I dreamt that up? I'll do a google..

Catsey Veteran

03-08-2007, 06:37 PM   #9

Here you go Donna....

http://www.advocate-spot-on.com/Profender_R.1462.0.html

I think it's only available from a vet or online if you have a vet prescription.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
03-08-2007, 06:40 PM   #10

I worm Cassie every 3 months as she ia an outdoor cat. I use Panacur palatable Favourites, which she will eat from my hand ......they smell beefy like Oxo cubes...