Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: A very pretty kitty!
28-07-2007, 07:32 PM   #1

Patch isn't himself...

Well, I dunno why I'm telling you all - any ideas whats wrong would be great.

Last night he didn't seem himself - he came in at like 8 and didn't want to go out again (that is NOT Patch!), he didn't eat his food either. He was stood in the living room and we were talking to him and it was just like he wasn't there. I stroked him and he actually tolerated it (again, not Patch, usually by now he would be on the floor with my hand in his mouth trying to rip it to shreds whilst kicking me with his legs trying to shred me up ). We thought okay, maybe he's just not feeling too well, and left him for the night. This morning he wasn't meowing to get us up (not himself still)...however when dad got up he did too - he didn't eat again and wasn't interested in going out. Dad had the door open though because it was warm and he decided to venture out - he went to sleep in the (currently unused ) chicken pen and has basically spent all day in there. He hasn't eaten his food all day. Dad gave him some tuna this afternoon (I've been out all afternoon) and he did eat some of it then went back outside. He's just not himself...he's usually soo greedy, wont stop meowing, hates being strked, looks at you whenever you say his name. Apart from this he looks fine....well, I don't really know the signs of a healthy/ill cat, but his eyes are clear and bright, his nose has no discharge or anything, he's not showing any signs of illness etc.

Any ideas what this is? Some yummy foods to tempt him to eat?? If it continues we will take him to the vet but just wondered if anyone could shed any light on this?

edit: oh..thought I'd add, nothing has really changed. However, we did give him some different food to usual the other day - he had 'Hi-Life Cherish' tinned food the other day and he loved it, he only had a bit because we ran out of his other food and it was mixed with his normal food too..could this be the reason? surely he'd be okay now?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
28-07-2007, 07:58 PM   #2

Re: Patch isn't himself...

He could have a bit of an upset tummy or if he has been in a scrap with another cat and been biten or scratched, he may have an abcess. Many times Misty or a cat we used to have, Ko-Ko, went very quiet and I got used to searching for an abcess, and usually found one!

Hope he is feeling better soon.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: all types
28-07-2007, 07:59 PM   #3

yes he has probably got an upset tummy or been in a fight

hope he gets better soon

Catsey Senior

28-07-2007, 08:03 PM   #4

Thanks guys. We don't think he's had a fight - he is usually VERY vocal about fights and you can always hear him if he's having one. I guess he could have but I don't know. What does an abcess feel like? In guinea pigs () they have to be lanced by the vet and then drained - should this happen with kitties? Where would one most likely to be?

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: some
28-07-2007, 08:14 PM   #5

If he has an abcess they are usually round the head and neck or the back end if they were caught running away. They look like swellings and might be oozing stuff. I usually look and notice that it looks a bit swollen. Also how old is Patch and re his teeth OK as if they are sore or there is tooth abcess that might make him feel a bit off.
Hope he gets better soon.

Sally

Catsey Senior

28-07-2007, 08:17 PM   #6

Patch is about....a year? maybe 13 months? Something round there so not old. How do I know if his teeth are okay?

Gah I'm so worried

Jane

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
29-07-2007, 09:58 AM   #7

Wouldn't think it's teeth in one so young. If he had something stuck in his mouth you'd expect him to be dribbling.
I'd go the upset tum/abscess brewing theory too. Keep an eye on him - if an abscess appears or if he develops a high temperature (feel his ears), off to the vet, otherwise, if he will drink water and is alert, he will hopefully work through it OK by himself.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Domestic Shorthairs & Longhair
29-07-2007, 10:29 AM   #8

The first sign of the majority of illnesses in cats is reduced appetite, so it can sometimes be difficult to find the underlying cause for the lack of appetite and your vet may need to perform tests to help identify the problem.

Consult your vet if he has been off of his food for more than two days, or sooner if you have noticed any other problems in addition (eg excessive drinking/vomiting) it does not take long for a cat to become seriously ill if it is not eating.

When encouraging Patch to eat you should try to avoid any foods containing small amounts of onion or garlic as this can cause toxic damage to cat's red blood cells which may cause anaemia. Such foods include some human baby food, soups, flavoured meats and food flavouring.

To encourage Patch to eat at home, try to keep his environment as stress-free as possible, for example giving him somewhere quiet to relax away from other cats or dogs so he does not have to compete for his food or a resting place. You can increase the appeal of the food by adding strong flavours like fish, and warming the food to body temperature to increase it's aroma. Gently smear some food onto his paws, or around his mouth. This normally stimulates a licking response which may get Patch started on eating again. Try tasty foods such as cooked chicken or fish, or your vet may be able to prescribe a palatable high calorie food. Offer small frequent meals, removed the food bowl in between. Use a wide shallow bowl to avoid the cat's whisker's touching the sides as this can sometimes put cats off of eating. You can also try gently stroking and talking to him to help him relax.

If it did happen to be an abcess, the vet would clip and clean the area, then drain the abcess and give you instructions to clean the abcess twice daily. Antibiotics would be administered to fight infection, but when cared for properly they heal in no time. Patch would probably have to stay in for a little while until otherwise instructed by the vet. High temperature is normally a sign of infection, which can be reinforced by high WBC in the blood (if tests were taken) If it is an abcess it will need to be treated, and if an upset tummy the vet will be able to prescribe some medication to settle him, or if necessary do some further investigation.

Hope this helps hun xxxx

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
29-07-2007, 11:06 AM   #9

That's an excellent post Amber, how fortunate we are to have a vet nurse on board ...

Jane, I hope Patch picks up soon.....

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 3 moggies
29-07-2007, 12:27 PM   #10

I've hesitated to post this because I don't want to scare you, but it's playing on my mind.........

Is there any chance Patch could have ingested some poison? Not necessarily deliberate poisoning, but maybe garden pesticides, etc.? It's just that your description of him 'not really being there' along with not eating is ringing alarm bells with me re. my Mizzie

I hope and pray it is nothing like that, but if he is still the same tomorrow morning I really would take him to the vet just to be on the safe side.

Like I say, I really don't mean to frighten you - it's probably something alot simpler - on the other hand, I wouldn't want you to miss something important.

Hope he's feeling better today. x