Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
22-07-2007, 02:15 PM   #1

the knock on effects

Rright I have been thinking about Caspurr's virus. The more I think about it the angrier I'm getting. I have done nothing but read up on it since getting the news. Abi is showing signs of runny eyes now and they both go back to the vet on Monday evening.
As you know I got Abi on the active registar. I wasn't sure if I was going to breed with her or not but it was an option for me to get a show quality baby from my own litter. Now that option has been taken away from me.
After talking with my Vet at length the Virus was in Caspurr when I got him and the breeder had to have known. I feel like I have been conned. If I had wanted to buy a sick animal I would have gone to a byb.
OK I didn't have any other cats at the time I got Caspurr but that's not the point. I had said to the breeder that I would be looking for a show quality girl next year so she also knew that I would be adding to my family.
Last night I got a call from a breeder I had contacted ages ago. She was offering me a show quality boy. She didn't want him to go just as a pet as he is showing so much potential. When I said I had Caspurr she said that was ok she would keep him herself.
Aghhh. Even if I was able to have another I couldn't now. I'm really hacked off.
I'm going to phone the breeder when all the results are back.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
22-07-2007, 02:24 PM   #2

Re: the knock on effects

Jac if your vet feels the breeder should have known then I feel for you. You have hobsons choice, I am sorry. I would be livid and now instead of one poorly cat you have two. Karen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
22-07-2007, 04:11 PM   #3

If she was aware that the virus was in her cattery and knowingly selling kittens, shouldn't she be reported to the proper authorities, whoever they may be? The governing board of the cat fancy? Probably proving that she knew might be difficult; you might want to get some legal advice on this: she should be liable for your vet expenses at the very least.....

Catsey Veteran

22-07-2007, 05:22 PM   #4

Once I have spoken to the Vet and got all the results back dont worry I will be speaking to her. She'll wish she had never met me. I will be reporting her dont worry. Look at the facts.
I got Caspurr from her. I didn't have any other cats in the house. There has never been a cat here. Plus when we moved in we changed every single carpet and floor surface. So even if a cat had been here all traces would have gone. He had no contact with any cat since coming here. His symptoms started to manifest 6 days after we got him. Unfortunately my vet thought at first it was conjunctive eyetis. Only when he started to have such a high temperature and the limp did she put two and two together.
According to her he was carrying the virus when I got him.

Now the strange thing that's eating away at me now is I saw all her cats exept his mother. Strange, but if she was poorley it would make sence wouldn't it. At one point I was going to ask about his mum then something happened and I forgot. There were three lots of people waiting and it was a bit of a rush.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: some
22-07-2007, 06:05 PM   #5

I can understand how you feel but on a slightly better note they do know the virus he has got. So will be better able to help you cope with it.
But it still doesn't help the fact that some careless and lying woman sold him to you and now Abi's health is also going to be a worry to you and you won't be able to breed or show.
Do call if you need a chat as although Tilly has probably got herpes I might be able to help you if you have any questions. She does manage to live a very happy life and is only affected with bouts of sneezing if she is stressed. Other wise she potters along just fine.

Sally

Catsey Veteran

22-07-2007, 06:15 PM   #6

Thanks Sally. I'll give you a call tomorrow if thats ok? I hope you get your results back soon too.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
22-07-2007, 06:25 PM   #7

I can totally understand your anger and frustration Jac, as you know from our chat yesterday.

I didn't realise that you hadn't seen Caspurr's mother and I do think that's odd

I am pretty sure that the breeder must have known. You cannot keep that many cats and not any of them be showing signs of the virus. I know that not all cats do show signs and they can carry the virus without ever appearing ill - but the chances of that in the breeder's multi-cat household in my opinion are low.

See what your vet says tomorrow and then call the breeder with all the facts.

As I said yesterday - I'm sure your vet would be able to call her vet too (details on the vaccination certificate) and see if any of her cats have ever been treated or tested for calici - that would be pretty conclusive if they have.

Best of luck chum. Hugs to you and your furbabes.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
22-07-2007, 06:35 PM   #8

Jac,
This is the man I was telling you about. I can't find the article online that he wrote about calicivirus, but he claims that there is a homeopathic cure..........

http://www.naturalmedicinecentre.net/

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
22-07-2007, 06:41 PM   #9

What a terrible situation. I agree that its odd not have been able to see the mother and that alone would make me very suspicous.
Wishing you and the kitties well xxx

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
22-07-2007, 09:18 PM   #10

Jac, did you go to the breeder and choose the kitten you wanted or did she choose it for you?