Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: MainCoonX, SnowShoeX, & Their Baby
19-07-2007, 01:10 AM   #1

Would Like Another Opinion Please

Ok so Sandy has diarrhea and I think that its because for about a week she has only been eating the wet food and not her dry. So to get her to eat more dry I stopped giving her can and started feeding the kittens wet food away from her, this way she cant have any of theirs. She has been nursing them but they have been eating wet food multiple times a day. Is there anything wrong with what I am doing??? Also I was going to start putting some dry kibble in with their wet food. Do you think it is too early???

Catsey Senior

19-07-2007, 02:38 PM   #2

Re: Would Like Another Opinion Please

Shes not very happy the past two days she hasnt had any can. LOL.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
19-07-2007, 03:54 PM   #3

I wouldn't put the dry kibble in with the kittens food, just leave it seperate for them if you can. That's just my opinion though lol. How old are the kittens now? Are you still giving mum kitten food or adult food as it may be dietary. My mum Esther, who went to a new home today, only hardened up properly in the last week or so, when I stopped giving her kitten food as she wasn't nursing anymore.

Catsey Senior

19-07-2007, 06:14 PM   #4

The kittens are 5 1/2 weeks now (WOW!!) and a few have started trying the dry food. I figured that I would just sprinkle a few pieces in, but if its not a good idea yet then I will hold off. They are all (except dad) are getting kitten dry food and a combo of kitten and 'for all age' kitten food. I feed Chicken Soup dry food and the can food is a few different kinds, Merrick, Werruva, Fancy Feast, Triumph and I did try Pro Plan. I know its quite a few brands but each brand has a base flavor and so I like to get tehm different flavors. None of the kittens has any upset tummies or diarrhea. And Sandy has never had it till she started eating only the wet food. She does still nurse them but its down to only about 3 times a day and is ususally before they go to sleep.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
19-07-2007, 06:38 PM   #5

Well Jess, if possible try and take mum away from any kitten food at all, it is probably too rich for her tummy now that the kittens aren't nursing as much. Hope that helps.

Catsey Senior

20-07-2007, 02:01 PM   #6

Anyone else have any say???

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
20-07-2007, 02:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess751
Anyone else have any say???
Sorry Jess, I have no experience of bringing up kittens but I would probably agree with Alex that the kitten food for Sandy is probably too rich and causing the diarrhoea....

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: torty
John is Male
21-07-2007, 01:43 PM   #8

I notice that you said you are feeding CANNED food..Millie wont eat canned food only Pouches ..neither Canned Whiskus or Felix..for what its worth the Feral cats in work wont eat the Canned food either

john >^..^<

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
21-07-2007, 02:04 PM   #9

Cassie will eat nothing but canned Whiskas !

Catsey Senior

21-07-2007, 02:21 PM   #10

My cats arent picky and Im trying to make the kittens that way too. I keep feeding stuff that they may not take to in the begining and now they are eating anything that I put down. My reason for doing this is that I have had pets in the past that wouldnt eat this or would eat this and then stop eating it and it drove me crazy. So if they dont take to it then I will buy it again and if they really wont eat it then I wont buy it but I make them try it first BTW the kittens are pretty much only eating solids. They are nursing one maybe twice a day now!! And Im getting Sandy off the kitten and she seems better. Thanks