Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Gray/White Tabby
04-11-2011, 01:37 AM   #1

3rd eyelid suddenly showing...

Hello everyone,

Lola is our new rescue cat who we have had only 5 days. I took her to the vet today for a check up. She received a couple vaccinations and was found to have an ear infection for which she received drops. I'm to put those in her ears twice a day for 7 days. Other than that, all was well with her.

When I got her home, I noticed her left eye was showing her 3rd eyelid. Oddly enough this is the same side the ear infection was found. Could this be related? She seems so upset and has been hiding since we brought her back home. Since she is so new, I'm sure it has to do with her just feeling afraid and unsure. I posted about her fear of my son in the general chat and behavior sections.

Should I be worried about this new eye development? Or should I just keep watch on it to see if it goes away on it's own? I'd hate to drag her back to the vet's office again, the poor thing!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
04-11-2011, 11:40 AM   #2

Re: 3rd eyelid suddenly showing...

I am no expert but I would think the 3rd eyelid and her ear infection are connected and as the infection clears, her 3rd eyelid should recede. Could you phone the vet and ask? She might need some extra antibiotics.

Cats owned: Gray/White Tabby
04-11-2011, 06:54 PM   #3

I called the vet first thing this morning. He wasn't concerned but said if it was still showing by Monday he wanted to see her again. He said it is probably related to the ear infection but it's so strange to me since the eyelid was not showing out at all before the examination. It's like her poor eye was scratched when he was checking her over. She was perfect and clear eyed when I brought her and now she looks miserable with that eye... =( She also scrambled away from me when I tried to put the drops in her ear. I let her go so I wouldn't get scratched. I'm sure she is now mad at me and probably won't come out for awhile.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
05-11-2011, 10:05 AM   #4

Something may or may not have happened at the vet and now she's frightened you'll do it to her all over again when you try to put her drops in, bless her. But I think if her eye was scratched you would know about it and there would be other symptoms, so it's probably just all to do with her ear. It's important she gets her drops at the alloted times though. Have you tried wrapping her in a towel, with 2 people if neccessary. Try and get her calm 1st, praise and pet her, then gently wrap the towel around, praising her gently all the time?. Good luck!