Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
03-05-2010, 04:10 PM   #1

Yumminess!

I was going to put this is the recipe section, but it's more of a story than an actual recipe.

OH and I have limited success with cooking. OH enjoys it more than I do. We decided that we wanted a nice pudding yesterday as that would be a bank holiday weekend treat. We don't usually have puddings because we all have to watch our weight and MIL is diabetic. I found a recipe for a classic French Tarte Tatin, but we decided to adapt it in as much as we would use bought puff pastry for the base.

We have never caramelised sugar before and that was the first indication that there would be tantrums, teddies (or saucepans) flying out of the window and a catastrophe brewing! Anyway, the resulting sauce, which did smell good, was poured into the dish and the apples were arranged on top and that went into the oven. We got the puff pastry out of the fridge and let it come to temperature. A while later, it was rolled out and with many expletives placed over the top of the apples in the dish and "tucked in". Back in the oven it went.

When the tarte came out of course there was the anxious moment of turning it out, but with a wee wobble that went reasonably well. The tarte, to our surprise, did not look too bad.

After our supper, we decided to try the tarte. It HAS to have been the BEST PUDDING I HAVE EVER EATEN! Only three of us but we ate the WHOLE THING. There wasn't a crumb left.

Our only mystery was why we had patches of doily shaped bits of what tasted like butterscotch on top of the apples. Something went wrong with the caramel sauce, but it was so GORGEOUS, I am not complaining.

So, three cheers for OH. After all, I only cut up the apples!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
03-05-2010, 04:35 PM   #2

Re: Yumminess!

Oh well done both of you, that sounds delicious, making my mouth water! You're brave tackling a complicated recipe like that, I don't do fancy desserts and am very impressed!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
03-05-2010, 09:34 PM   #3

It sounds scrumptious angie

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
03-05-2010, 09:46 PM   #4

That sounds lovely! 3 cheers all around especially as it looks like you started with a rather tricky recipe . . . caramelised sugar, sounds scary

I'm hopeless at anything sweet . . . I once tried to cook a rice pudding in one of those cake tins that has a push-out bottom. Guess who spent hours having to scrape baked-on milky rice off the oven

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
04-05-2010, 05:13 PM   #5

You can also make it using pears.....more yumminess!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
04-05-2010, 05:25 PM   #6

I am sure that would be just as lovely Emma!

Do you have any hints about caramelising sugar? Any idea where ours went wrong? Apart from that, it was actually dead easy!

Catsey Veteran

04-05-2010, 05:28 PM   #7

Did you cook the water and sugar until it was clear?

Catsey Veteran

04-05-2010, 06:42 PM   #8

I have a pear tarte tatin at the weekend - with Basil icecream - totally yummy!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
04-05-2010, 08:51 PM   #9

Basil ice cream???

Catsey Veteran

04-05-2010, 10:25 PM   #10

I know!!! sounds very odd but it was divine!!