Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
18-06-2006, 05:20 PM   #11

Re: How to bring a cat's weight up?

I'll settle for a commentated slide-show of the circus.

All mad, but in a sociable way. At least we're here licking our wounds, agonising about Sooty's evil looks and Ragwort's measles, rather than wandering the streets wringing hands and speaking in tongues.
CP should be funded for this public service!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
18-06-2006, 05:37 PM   #12

I wonder whether he will improve a lot once he has neutered?

Edited to add: Just foudn this on anohter forum Canned kitten food is fine. It's the most high protein, low carb, high moisture cat food you can get without the high calories of dry kitten food. Dry kitten food is fattening.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 of the most gorgeous moggiebeasts
19-06-2006, 11:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booktigger
I wonder whether he will improve a lot once he has neutered?

Edited to add: Just foudn this on anohter forum Canned kitten food is fine. It's the most high protein, low carb, high moisture cat food you can get without the high calories of dry kitten food. Dry kitten food is fattening.
Thanks again. I don't know if he'll improve a lot. I suspect he may gain some weight more easily simply because he'll maybe stop being quite such a monkey and if he becomes a little less wanderlusty he might even stop getting stuff in his coat

To be honest, I think the latter will happen anyway, since he won't be sleeping in a shed anymore (we're keeping him in for a month at least).

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
19-06-2006, 05:15 PM   #14

Snoof, dried food is the best to put weight on rather than wet and as already pointed out a high quality one. Royal Canin Persian is excellent for putting weight on ( even though he isn't a Persian ) so much so that a lot of Persian breeders will not solely feed that but tend to mix it with Royal Canin Fit. It may be worth using that until his weight is better. The worming will probably help as well. The Hills ad diet is excellent and can be fed everyday not just once a week although not permenantly. I use it to wean my kittens as it is highly palatable, which encourages eating, and rich in nutrients.

Catsey Veteran

22-06-2006, 10:57 AM   #15

Thankyou Kay. I just want him to put on some weight and then switch him back to the food they get now (James Wellbeloved plus Whiskas wet, but he won't eat the wet). He does also spend a lot of time doing things (although he's getting better about staying in, now that he's realised he can be in the lounge at the same time as people - will start a picture thread about that shortly ) so obviously that helps him keep the weight off. But you can see his ribs, he looks like a feline whippet, and I'm pretty sure he shouldn't be doing!

Thank you heaps for your advice I'll remember it when I go shopping for Things To Fatten Up The Sweep.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
22-06-2006, 02:36 PM   #16

Good luck, Snoof.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
22-06-2006, 02:41 PM   #17

Another thing to consider Snoof is - I am assuming he is still entire? Some entire cats do not hold their weight so well. We had this problem with Clooney. Now he has been neutered he is starting to fatten up a little...Just a thought

Catsey Veteran

22-06-2006, 06:45 PM   #18

Yeah, Fran, I'm thinking that factors into it as well. Cheers