Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: N/A
19-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #1

Letting cat out

I'm nervous, next week my kitten will have been with us for a month. He's getting his vaccinations and so soon it will be time for him to be out and about.

So, tips on their first times out? I'm new to cat owning so any advice will be much apprieciated.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
19-08-2012, 03:43 PM   #2

Re: Letting cat out

Hi

Having just read your other thread about Shadow, I would first of all say he is waaaaay too young to go out yet Recommendations are that he's at least 4 months old, preferably 6 before you let them out.

When it does get to that time, it's best to take it slow. Take him into the garden with you, always make sure it's just before feeding time, that way he knows to come back in for dinner . The world is a big scary place to a wee kitten so take it nice and easy

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
20-08-2012, 02:00 AM   #3

It's generally recommended that kittens are kept indoors until six months old, then you take them to the vet to be spayed/neutered and microchipped before you consider letting them outdoors x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
20-08-2012, 10:33 AM   #4

I absolutely agree with Velvet - keep him inside or take him outside only on a harness and lead at least until he's been neutered. I used to take little Pip out in our garden when he was a kitten, sometimes with more success than others! He didn't much like the harness and lead, and was always better when Kizzy our adult female was with us but at least he was able to orientate himself and so when it came time to let him out free, he knew where he lived.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: N/A
20-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #5

Well he's only 9 weeks old now getting his Vaccs in two weeks so i'll get a harness and get pictures

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: BSH Silver Tab, Lilac CP, Blue
fancyabrew is Male
21-08-2012, 05:22 PM   #6

+1 for waiting until 6 months. Can't quite remember how old Marmaduke was when we let him out, but we didn't get him done until he was 1yr.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: moggy's
22-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #7

I can definitely recommend the lead and harness route. I have taken Romeo out in the garden and he really enjoys exploring. I would advise that you practice in the house alot before hand to get him used to it and start off with a short lead and not a retractable one! We had a bad first experience with the retractable lead, but fortunately he has forgiven me!