Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: 2 former-ferals.
08-08-2012, 11:55 PM   #1

Thinking about personality "shifts"...

It's so weird because Pepper and Natasha's personalities have shifted a lot since I first met each of them.

Pepper used to be really cuddly and needy but since her spay she's been kind of aloof when it comes to cuddling, but she still loves to rub on you and get pets and belly pets.. Yet, if you hold her she tolerates it and doesn't use her claws or bite or anything but she growls and stuff (cutely by the way, LOL). She's a lot more playful with toys now too.

'tasha used to be more aloof but now when I walk outside she's like "MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW" really loud and needy and like throws herself into my lap for pets and loving. She went into my lap before this but it's a lot more exuberant now. The over-stimulation issue happens a LOT less and she tolerates me picking burrs off of her back.. There's been a lot less scratching/biting issues as well as well as tolerating being picked up.

But still, Natasha roams most of the day (but stops by to make appearances) and Pep hangs around practically 24/7.

Hmmm... very weird to think about. I have a theory that Natasha is a bit jealous of Pepper so has been making a big effort to be "the best kitty".. plus she trusts us a whole lot more. Pepper on the other hand takes the trust and allows herself to be.. well, herself. Plus, she's not in heat anymore, which might explain why she was so cuddly before. Or maybe we've just annoyed her with so many cuddles. LOL

Now, I have no idea where Pepper came from. We saw her hanging around only a week before we took her in. Natasha had been hanging around for months and had obviously been a house cat before because she was already spayed (she had a possible spay scar, no mammary development, and has never shown signs of being in heat) and she didn't have the ear tip cut off how they usually do with feral cats when they spay them..

I dunno, I just wonder how they were before they came around to me, how long they were lost, etc. The vet said Natasha and Pepper are both around 3-4 years old (even though Pep looks like a kitten XD). And it's just so weird about how their personalities can be so diverse.

Anyone have any stories like this? O:

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
09-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #2

Re: Thinking about personality "shifts"...

My unexpert thoughts are that it is easy to explain Pepper's shift is terms of altered hormones, although as she has only fairly recently been spayed, that can't be the whole story. When my little Kizzy arrived, she was also a rescue and was estimated to be between 1 - 2 years old. How she came to be straying, of course I have no idea but (rather like your Natasha) her previous owner had thought enough about her to have her spayed, she also had a scar. Of course she was scared and very unsure when she arrived after a rather long car journey and it took her quite a few months to settle. She did not know how to play and it was a joy to see her begin to follow bits of string or to chase a toy mouse. But there was something missing from her life ....... she seemed a bit "down" and it wasn't until wee Pip kitten arrived that she became a "proper cat" and much more relaxed. It is rather difficult to describe the subtle ways in which she changed, but Pip is so laid back and tolerant and after she had accepted him in the house she did I am positive, start to "chill out". Now she is cuddly, playful, very loving and my heart's delight!

Your two girls may still surprise you as they stabilise in their relationship with you and with each other. It's the joy of being owned by a cat that they are all so individual and delightful in their own ways.

Cats owned: 2 former-ferals.
10-08-2012, 04:06 AM   #3

Awww<3 Sounds like you've had quite the similar experience that is going on with my kitties now!

But they're thankfully getting along much better already. Like it's shocking! Not only did Natasha come and LAY next to Pepper today,

She has been laying in my lap when I sit down with Pepper in my arms!

It is so interesting to see this. Since I am older now, I see the personalities in my cats a whole lot better, especially since I interact with them a lot more than I did with my former ones. (At least it feels that way.)

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 BEAUTIFULL CATS!! BEAU AND JOY
JMPARK is Male
10-08-2012, 07:58 AM   #4

My two have changed around as they have grown up as well. Beau was much more of a "scaredy cat" , but now is very inquisitive wheras Joy has gone a bit more shy. Beau now runs up to any person we let through the door , before she used to hide under the table . Joy wouldn't stay to be pamperd at all at first, but now cann't get enough of it!! and now Beau will let you stroke her only on her terms!! Lots of other small changes have occured but i have just put that down to getting older!!