Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: marmalade
smokealot is Male
17-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #1

So sad got a decision to make

Hello all,

Feeling really low tonight, my cat Julie is 21 and a half years old and I think im going to have to make a really hard decision.

She had been looking for lots of food and water for the last wee while but that was nothing new, however as her coat was getting matted i read online and decided it was time for a trip to the vet.

the vet told me it was time to think about letting her sleep and im gutted, my brother picked her when he was 14, he died in a road accident when he was 16 and she has been a friend and physical link to him ever since. She is one of those cats that just wants one person and ive been privileged it was me.

Ive always known about her bad vision and failing teeth, her eyes are misty and the pupils dont close when a light is run over them, he also says the yellow marks on her lips are a sign of jaundice which i know is related to the liver, to top it off he felt an over enlarged kidney.

She doesnt seem in pain although he has given me pain killers to give her.

The vet said it is time to start thinking about putting her down, he was really lovely and said to enjoy my time with her and give her anything she likes or wants and that if i had made the choice on that day no vet would argue with me.

just typing this i know im in denial but she means the world to me, is it time to let her sleep?

I think i know the answer just need to make sure there is nothing more i can do.

so so sad today.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
17-07-2012, 08:01 PM   #2

Re: So sad got a decision to make

So sorry to read this, sadly you are her best advocate, be guided by your vet, he has her best interests at heart.

Be strong for her and enjoy what time you have together.

Very very sorry xxxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
17-07-2012, 10:05 PM   #3

I'm so very sorry to hear this. As you know her best of all, it is a decision only you can take. However, take it knowing that you are doing it in Julie's best interest. xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
17-07-2012, 10:23 PM   #4

So very sorry to read this ........ it is a hard decision and I would be guided by how you feel Julie's quality of life is. If she's still eating etc. and is showing interest in you and things around her then I'd wait a while until you know that she'd rather be at peace. You do know her best and are the best judge.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
18-07-2012, 12:58 AM   #5

Hugsxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
18-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #6

So sorry to hear you are facing such a difficult decision. 21 is an amazing age, but it is never easy to say goodbye, especially, as you say with the association to your brother. You know Julie better than anyone and I'm sure you'll know when it is her time. I am certain she has had a wonderful life with you and no-one can take away all the memories. I'll be thinking of you. ((hugs)) x