Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Ragdolls
07-07-2012, 09:03 AM   #1

Help needed!!!

Hiya

Ok so my 9 month old kitten tinkerbelle has lovely long soft fur but... This morning we've had to shower her as she had poo stuck all over her bum (sorry I know it's early!). It wasn't runny but it was softer/creamier... She is wormed regularly (last time 3 weeks ago), doesn't seem ill and has a dry food diet so I'm wondering what may of caused this????

Also any advice on avoided poo matted fur would be great!

Thanks
Kate xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
07-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #2

Re: Help needed!!!

Oh poor Tinkerbelle and poor you. Not a nice morning greeting. I've never had a long haired cat - the only time I've had to clean Kizzy was after she had an accident in the cat carrier on the way home from the vet - she hates going in the car I think, more than hating the vet. I used those pet wipes which I had to hand at the time, otherwise I'd probably use a little bit of Hibiscrub diluted with plenty of just warm water.

As to the cause of Tinkerbelle's "softness" - I can't really guess. It may have been a "one off" - she may have a bit of an upset but unless it goes to diarrhoea, I don't think there is much to worry about. You could get some Pro-Kolin in just in case .... it is available online without prescription and has a good shelf-life (says she who has just received such an order!)

Good luck with cleaning up your poor wee kitty!

Catsey Junior

07-07-2012, 09:37 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply, yes this morning was not fun, I'm certainly wide awake now!

I'm not worried about her at the minute as she is still herself (scooting up my bedroom curtains as I write this!) but I will order some pro-kolin as it sounds like it would be helpful to have in the house.

Bless kizzy, i get car sick when I'm travelling so maybe it's a similar thing, but from the opposite end! Hope kizzy is ok and wasn't at the vets for anything too serious.

I also love the name kizzy! I need to think of a boy and girl name for my two new kitties, 11 more sleeps!!!
X

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
07-07-2012, 10:55 AM   #4

Glad to hear Tinkerbelle is being a little Tinker!!! Obviously not feeling poorly. No, Kizzy had just been to the vet for her annual check/boosters. She's a very good girl at the vet and quite calm but bottles it all up. Nearly always happens, sometimes on the outward journey which is embarrassing, but the vet nurses are very good and clean the carrier and Kizzy up for me, or on the way home. I always take spare old towels/carrier mat with me.

New names for kittens? Do you have a shortlist yet or are you going to wait and see what suits their characters?

Catsey Junior

07-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #5

We've got a few we like, my eldest son (he's 9) will probably have the final pick although he'll be guided in the right direction!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
07-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #6

I've had 4 Persians over the years and one in particular had bad tummy troubles and had the be washed often. I used mild baby shampoo and cleaned him in the shower so I didn't have to totally immerse him. He was very mild mannered about it so it wasn't a battle and I didn't get shredded.

It's unfortuantely and occupational hazard of owning long-haired cats

Exciting you're getting some new kitties. Will they be longhairs too?

Catsey Junior

07-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #7

Hi, thanks for the advice, luckily we have baby shampoo in abundance as we have a 2 year old!

Perisans are so beautiful, such cute pudsey faces. What are their personalities like? I imagine them to be cuddley.

Yes the 2 new kittens are ragdolls so will have long fur, don't think their hair gets as long a Persian's would though. However its still long so i'm guessing it may indicate many more mornings of this type!

Tinkerbelle hated the shower, just meowed and looked really miserable but luckily didn't respond via scratching. She spent the morning drying off on my bed with the electric blanket on- so she must think getting wet has it's perks!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
07-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #8

Yes Persians are adorable, I love their smushy faces too. Their personalities vary, my 1st boy was adorable, nervous as anything but a real cuddle bug. My girl was the most perfectly behaved princess, but not too bothered about being cuddled preferring instead her own company. My first rescue Persian was a total head case and would chase anything that moved, and my current rescue lad is a bit of a stroppy bruiser, but follows me around like a puppy and would roll onto his back for tummy rubs totally spontaneously.

So essentially, they're all quite different!

Catsey Junior

07-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #9

I like that, all individuals! There does seem to be a theme of boy cats being more loving. Complete generalisation to which I have no experience of, it just appears that is the case.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 BEAUTIFULL CATS!! BEAU AND JOY
JMPARK is Male
09-07-2012, 10:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrskatyb
Hiya

Ok so my 9 month old kitten tinkerbelle has lovely long soft fur but... This morning we've had to shower her as she had poo stuck all over her bum (sorry I know it's early!). It wasn't runny but it was softer/creamier... She is wormed regularly (last time 3 weeks ago), doesn't seem ill and has a dry food diet so I'm wondering what may of caused this????

Also any advice on avoided poo matted fur would be great!

Thanks
Kate xx
We have two long haires cats and one of them is always getting some of her poo stuck to her. She just seems to sit too low and mostly just stick. We have to clean her with "wipes" ( which she hates!!!) . Sometimes its smooth other times not. We are not worried as we keep mainly to the smae diet of one "wet" meal a day an the rest "dry". She just doesn't seerm to have mastered the toilet properly.