Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Ragdolls
09-07-2012, 11:36 AM   #11

Re: Boys or girls

Aw it sounds that like us they all have their own personality. I was always cautious about getting a boy due to the worry of them spraying in the house but from what I read if neutered then it shouldn't (in most cases) be a problem x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
09-07-2012, 12:08 PM   #12

I hate to be a spoiler here Mrskatyb, but neutered males and females can and do spray, mostly if they are feeling anxious or insecure for any reason. The odour isn't as overpowering as with a tom cat, but it's still pretty potent!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: tabby cat
09-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #13

I had a boy cat(toby) and he was very loving but to me only.
I have a girl cat now (minnie)and she is just as loving but to both of us.She is more demanding than Toby was but my husband says that any cat we had would turn out loving and soppy because of the way i treat them.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 oriental SH cross & 1 LH mog
atracattus is Male
11-07-2012, 12:26 AM   #14

I think every cat is different regardless of gender, especially when I look through forums such as this. Some owners say their boys are more laid back while others are certain their girls are more laid back.

In my personal experience the four boys I've kept have always been more laid back in general, but are more boisterous when in play mode, and more enthusiastic with their affection. The three females I have kept have all been extremely affectionate but in general easier to startle and more flighty. The girls seem just as playful as boys, just in a more delicate way.

I've only had to do 2 sets of introductions at home. First was when introducing Willow (I hand reared her from 2.5 weeks old at a rescue I worked at) who was 8 weeks when introduced to Sami and Felix my two confident and boisterous brothers. They were used to her smell as I had brought home clothes worn at the rescue and bedding from her pen. They still freaked though. It was funny, two fully grown large males terrified of this tiny little fluffy girl. They reacted like she was some monstrous cat eating demon. Willow barely gave them a second glance, she was so relaxed and trusting. I think it was this that won them over. They eventually got up the nerve to investigate her, flinching or darting away at the slightest of movement. But they became fast friends and bonded really well.

The second introduction was no where as easy as that though. I was introducing a then 16 year old Sookie to Sami (who was 8yrs), Felix(8yrs) and Willow(6yrs). Sookie was an old fighter, with one hell of an attitude towards other cats. Sami and Felix did not like her one bit (Willow didn't care at all, and never had any issues with Sookie.) Her body language just got their backs up, and it took a very long time to get past that. Firstly they could not be in the same room as each other without being held onto, so we had to segregate the house. Upstairs was Sookie's and downstairs belonged to the other three. We brought them all together daily (often several times a day), for very short periods initially, then as time drew on we lengthened the periods. It took over a year for them to be trusted not to claw each other's eyes out, but we got there eventually.

I doubt you will have many problems introducing kittens to a 9 month old. Young cats, especially kittens are incredibly adaptable. At such a young age their curiosity tends to get the better of them which really helps the introduction process.

Your 9mo will probably feel threatened by the two new arrivals, and will need reassurance from you. She will also have to be allowed to tell the kits that she is boss, which will mean a few bats around the head and a fair bit of growling and posturing. Try not to undermine her too much or you will hurt her pride, but don't let her terrify the kits either. Distraction is a wonderful tool, use it to your advantage. Keep some nice tender slices of chicken to hand and some feather toys. Distract the younger kits with toys if they start to annoy your older kit, and reassure her with treats. It's all about positive reinforcement. Treat them all for being confident with food-treats and play. Try not to raise your voice if they misbehave during the introductory stage, just distract them. You will probably end up with all three chasing feather toys together or purring adoringly around your ankles in hope for treats from you in no time.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Ragdolls
13-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #15

Thanks for all the replies and advice, the two new arrivals comemhome Wednesday.
Atracattus do you recommend I keep the kittens in one room for a few days?x