Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: NA
04-07-2012, 03:30 PM   #1

Cat Claws

hi, i have got a cat and the problem i have is they keep scratching and damaging my furniture. I recently bought a scratch post but it seems it isnt working. Can someone tell me any other ways to get them to stop damaging my furniture?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
04-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #2

Re: Cat Claws

Hello and welcome to Catsey

I have an ongoing problem with my cats clawing the stair carpet (parts of it look like fuzzy velcro now ) the only thing I can do to stop them is to clip just the very end off their claws but it can be a dangerous activity (they fight back ). I have to swoop in when they're not expecting me and do a couple of claws at a time and come back and do a few more another time.

You could try rubbing catnip toys on the scatching post to attract them perhaps

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
04-07-2012, 07:58 PM   #3

I am sorry if this sounds a wee bit harsh but cats have had sharp claws for centuries, if people dont want an animal who may scratch then perhaps a goldfish would have been a better choice....
Just so as I dont sound like a right cow, here are a few links for you.

http://www.celiahaddon.co.uk/pet%20p...cratching.html

http://www.fabcats.org/behaviour/scr...g/article.html

http://youloveyourcat.com/stop-cats-...ing-furniture/

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
05-07-2012, 07:23 PM   #4

one of my cats did that when we first got him. when he started scratching the furniture, we gently lifted him and put his paws against the scratchpost and moved his paws up and down to try show him what to do. he now only uses the scratchpost but it took alot of time and effort!! not sure if what we did was the reason he stopped but it certainly helped!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Fluffy. Calico cat.
06-07-2012, 01:49 PM   #5

I've always done the same as Pamela mentions above and it always seems to work!

11-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #6

thank you everyone for your comments but i found a company called [Mod edit] that provide glue on claws and they are working brilliantly, also they do different colours

Global Moderator

11-07-2012, 03:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellisamay123
thank you everyone for your comments but i found a company called [Mod edit] that provide glue on claws and they are working brilliantly, also they do different colours
Have you bought some for your Pug too?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
11-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellisamay123

I certainly wouldnt be using glue on my pets claws, long teerm use must surely damage the nail. I know a woman who used to get false nails applied regularly and it really damaged her nailbed.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
11-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #9

I agree with you wholeheartedly Elaine. Cats scratch, it is annoying, but that's what they do. Thankfully mine use their scratching post. I would definitely NOT use glue on my cats claws either

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 oriental SH cross & 1 LH mog
atracattus is Male
11-07-2012, 10:57 PM   #10

I find the size of the scratching post makes a difference as to whether the cats use it or not. My cats have always prefered large posts that they can stretch out against when scratching. The kind of post which has a good five feet in hight with extra levels for climbing on seem to work best. It becomes more than a scratching post, it becomes a play item, exercises the cat, and is a wonderful perch/getaway place to stay out of reach of unruly kids or dogs!