Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Banned

Cats owned: American Shorthair
Mark Johnson is Male
25-07-2011, 12:12 PM   #21

Re: Pregnant Cat

Oh... Yes i agree with you.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
25-07-2011, 12:15 PM   #22

She wasn't the only case that I knew about where cats have been euthanised because there are no homes. On FB a couple of weeks back a charity were appealing for homes for loads of cats and kittens (40 or 50 odd), some were newborns, only four out of all them got rehomed apparently, the newborns were euthanised along with a load of others (they were appealing for death row pets)

This is the reason why I do not agree with breeding.

Edit: Sorry OP we're going off topic slightly, maybe the mods would like to split some of the posts from this thread into another thread.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
26-07-2011, 04:12 PM   #23

How very sad. Chances are she is pregnant and my suggestion would be to get her to the vet.

I do have to say that this is another example of irresponsible pet ownership though. Even though she may not have wanted to go out, many Tom cats WILL and DO break in through catflaps and open windows in order to mate. So no excuses really.

Catsey Veteran

26-07-2011, 04:18 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuecatsrule
I have personally seen so many kittens in the rescue I used to volunteer at because of overpopulation some of the cages were so full the kittens in them could hardly move around (not the charity's fault - the had so many kittens in they had nowhere to put them all that year) and one of the adult pens had to be filled with kittens too. Luckily all the kittens got new homes after a while but at the cost of holding adults back for several weeks because there was no room.

The two floor pens were crowded full, the three kitten pens were crowded and adult pen 10 had several kittens in as well.

I hope this helps you understand why I am against breeding unless 1) the person breeding is a reputable breeder (tests the mother and father for anything that could pass onto the kittens) and 2) the breeder is not breeding moggies (non pedigrees)

Why just moggies? There are many pedigrees who find themselves in rescue too and there are many pedigree breeders who are NOT reputable.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
27-07-2011, 05:03 PM   #25

Have to say i agree with you Lainey, its amazing how many pedigree cats have been in our branch of the CP...Bengals being the most popular one...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
27-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #26

Too many people who don't get their cats neutered and too many breeders (sorry to any breeders here) but I just don't think we need or can cope with so many cats per se and rescues overflowing with pedigrees and non-pedigrees prove that.

Catsey Veteran

28-07-2011, 11:44 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
[/b]

Why just moggies? There are many pedigrees who find themselves in rescue too and there are many pedigree breeders who are NOT reputable.
I don't have a problem with people who breed pedigrees to improve the breed but breeding moggies are a huge no-no as far as I'm concerned.

Think we might have to take this to another thread - have no idea whether the mods will close this thread or whether they are happy leaving it. We're kind of going a bit off topic (discussing rescues instead of the OP's problem)

Catsey Veteran

29-07-2011, 09:00 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuecatsrule
I don't have a problem with people who breed pedigrees to improve the breed but breeding moggies are a huge no-no as far as I'm concerned.

So how can you be sure that a pedigree breeder is breeding to improve their breed or do you just take their word for it?

Think we might have to take this to another thread - have no idea whether the mods will close this thread or whether they are happy leaving it. We're kind of going a bit off topic (discussing rescues instead of the OP's problem)
Stop being a pussy

Catsey Veteran

29-07-2011, 09:10 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Stop being a pussy
Meow

Catsey Veteran

29-07-2011, 09:14 PM   #30

So how can you be sure that a pedigree breeder is breeding to improve their breed or do you just take their word for it?