Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
13-09-2008, 05:41 PM   #1

Pain relief clinic

My dog has been showing a strange and extreme reaction when she is touched around the head (ears, muzzle, mouth). Squeals and scratches the air. It is very distressing to watch and she obviously is in a bit of pain.

Long story involving quite a few vets, steroids, antibiotics, a tooth extraction etc. Eventual referral to Vet Hospital. Neurologist admits never seen anything similar.

Poor Cali now being referred to pain clinic where they may look at alternative tharapies, acupuncture, massage etc.

Just wondered if any of you have any experience of alternative tharapies for dogs? (or heard of anything like her symptoms)

CM

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
13-09-2008, 05:55 PM   #2

Re: Pain relief clinic

How very distressing for Cali and for you too. I am so sorry for her - but I have no information or advice to give. I am absolutely sure that alternative therapies are generally good for animal use and wonder whether there are any homeopathic medicines that may help her?

Catsey Veteran

14-09-2008, 03:12 PM   #3

thanks angieh. I do hope they are able to offer her some relief. My friend uses homeopathic tablets on her horse who gets very anxious over winter in the stable and they are great. Just wondered if anyone had any dog related experience.

CM

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
14-09-2008, 10:28 PM   #4

Our vets do acupuncture and are convinced it works for the pain involved with arthritis, but I would think it will help most types of chronic pain. The couple of people I've spoken to who use it for their dogs agree it works.
Good luck, it awful seeing them in pain, and you can't stop it!

Catsey Veteran

14-09-2008, 10:30 PM   #5

Thanks for that farthing I do hope they can find something that will give her relief - her appt is 26th Sept. Meanwhile she's on high steroid dose.

CM