Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Medium haired Grey and peach rescue
05-09-2008, 01:52 PM   #11

Re: Your Favourite Animal

I'd never seen one before. I can't remember where i saw them but their enclosure had a glass wall on it, you could look through from a dark room. They were sleeping and lounging around on the branches and window sills and looked really relaxed.

They are from Madagascar and are the largest carnivore there. They hunt lemurs in trees at night and live up to 17 years old!

They're about 70cm long, but their is the same length as the body so they look much bigger and can weigh up to 20kilos.

I've been looking up facts on them, can you tell . They have webbed feet and retractable claws!

When they are on the ground they walk with their palms flat on the ground like bears rather than on their toes like dogs, cats and other civets.

I think they look like a cross between a dog a cat and a bear.

Catsey Junior

05-09-2008, 02:03 PM   #12

Ooooo - just one more picture. That site has loads of pictures of Fossas, but that picture really shows the powerfulness and size of their legs and huge feet!

http://www.fossaworld.com/index-page123.html

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
05-09-2008, 02:14 PM   #13

They are amazing animals, catrinsparkles! Thanks for posting those facts and info - they do look as if they have really come from a long long time ago.

It's so hard to plump for any one animal, but I think a hazel dormouse has to be quite high up on my list of absolute faves!

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...icial%26sa%3DG

Catsey Junior

05-09-2008, 02:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
They are amazing animals, catrinsparkles! Thanks for posting those facts and info - they do look as if they have really come from a long long time ago.

It's so hard to plump for any one animal, but I think a hazel dormouse has to be quite high up on my list of absolute faves!

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...icial%26sa%3DG

Awww they are sooo sweet!!!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
05-09-2008, 03:13 PM   #15

Oh my goodness, I love them all! I have such a huge soft spot for all animals, I think I was Noah's wife in a previous life

The wee fox is adorable, the fossa is simply mesmerising, and Angie the little mouse is such a cute wee pip-squeak! I don't know why some people don't like rodents! Kim I totally agree about British wildlife, I especially love foxes - they're like a feline version of a dog in my eyes

DM - why not squirrels? Have I missed something here? We have hundreds of grey squirrels running round Glasgow. I grew up in the countryside in Scotland and only ever saw one red squirrel once in my life I really hope they manage to get rid of a lot of hte grey ones and bring the red ones back. Although have you heard about the black, 'ninja' squirrel that is coming from Europe to UK? Do you have them over the pond?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
05-09-2008, 04:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep
Oh my goodness, I love them all! I have such a huge soft spot for all animals, I think I was Noah's wife in a previous life

The wee fox is adorable, the fossa is simply mesmerising, and Angie the little mouse is such a cute wee pip-squeak! I don't know why some people don't like rodents! Kim I totally agree about British wildlife, I especially love foxes - they're like a feline version of a dog in my eyes

DM - why not squirrels? Have I missed something here? We have hundreds of grey squirrels running round Glasgow. I grew up in the countryside in Scotland and only ever saw one red squirrel once in my life I really hope they manage to get rid of a lot of hte grey ones and bring the red ones back. Although have you heard about the black, 'ninja' squirrel that is coming from Europe to UK? Do you have them over the pond?
Grey squirrels are incredibly destructive varmints! They dig up bulbs, uproot plants, steal tomatoes, steal birdseed, gnaw holes in fascia boards to nest....(happened to me and my neighbor, very expensive to repair!), multiply like rabbits and have no natural enemies in the City. Spawn of Satan!!!! Plus they are driving out your nice native red squirrels. Ours come in a black variety also; have never heard of ninja squirrels , but if thery're as destructive as the greys I rue the day they set foot in the UK! End of rant!!!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
05-09-2008, 04:29 PM   #17

Gotcha DM I do agree, although haven't had a personal run-in with them so am not quite as passionate.

The problem we have is that Glasgow has lots of big parks (I think it has the most parks out of any European city? could be wrong) and there are lot of grey squirrels in each. The tourists (and a lot of locals) see them and feed them and then they multiply even faster! I've seen quite a few tubby looking squirrels running around

(P.S. 'spawn of satan' made me laugh out loud )

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
05-09-2008, 04:44 PM   #18

I am infamous for my loathing of squirrels! Have had run-ins with them forever! Washington is full of parks too, small ones and huge ones like Rock Creek Park which bisects the City. I'm only one block from it (what I refer to as "the woods") where I saw the chipmunk last week. There are rabbits, foxes, raccoons, opossums, quail and possibly owls, although I've never seen one. The d*** squirrels prefer to live in the neighborhood where the pickings are easy....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
05-09-2008, 06:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Grey squirrels are incredibly destructive varmints! They dig up bulbs, uproot plants, steal tomatoes, steal birdseed, gnaw holes in fascia boards to nest....(happened to me and my neighbor, very expensive to repair!), multiply like rabbits and have no natural enemies in the City. Spawn of Satan!!!! Plus they are driving out your nice native red squirrels. Ours come in a black variety also; have never heard of ninja squirrels , but if thery're as destructive as the greys I rue the day they set foot in the UK! End of rant!!!
Dm Its not like you to sit on the fence! Say whay you mean