Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

24-01-2004, 08:55 AM   #1

What to do about "cat grabbing" neighbours?

We have a cat who is now approaching 5 years old and who is a very friendly,
social cat. Early last year we moved to a new house.

In our old neighbourhood she would often visit the neighbours houses to say
"hello", and generally check out what was going on, in a very "cat" kind of
way. But she always came home when it was time, and she was very much an
outdoor, fit and healthy cat.

Since we've moved, one neighbour seems to think that the fact our cat pops
round to see everyone (and I mean EVERYONE), that she wants to live with
them. They call her in (even when I'm stood outside on occasion), keep her
in over night (which has always been her main time for exercise) and
generally don't let her out much. I often have to go around there to get
her out. But then when I try to let her out for exercise again, they just
take her back in.

She's always happy to see me, and we've even had those cartoon type
situations where me and the neighbours are both stood outside our doors on
quite a few occasions, she always chooses home.

I've spoken to them before, but they always deny calling her in, or even
feeding her (but on a couple occasions she's come home from there and thrown
up wet cat food, she only usually has dry at home) and say she just "manages
to get in". They have a cat flap with lock but say she still "gets in".

What can I do?! I've tried being reasonable they don't listen, and my cat's
health is suffering. She's not as social as she used to be when we have
guests, she's gained quite a lot of weight, and she just doesn't "look" as
healthy as she always did before we moved here. Her behaviour has also gone
down hill, she no longer stays off sofas and beds, which she has always been
very good about in the past, as we've always brought her up not to go on the
soft furnishings. It's a real shame.

Any advice would be good, but I really dont know what to do!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Bengal
Azz is Male
24-01-2004, 04:47 PM   #2

Re: What to do about "cat grabbing" neighbours?

Hi Paul and welcome to the forum.

That's a difficult one... You say they have a cat flap, do they have their own cat?

It looks like you've tried to reason with them and it's not worked, they 'seem' to be reciprocating the cat's friendship but you never know what goes on behind closed doors, so unless you have proof they are being 'cruel' to the cat I don't think the authorities would be of much help.

The only thing I can think of is to 'enclose' your own garden, I know it'll mean that the cat won't have as much room to play, but at least you?ll know she?s safe ? I think this is far better than using cat pens as they are so small, especially if a cat?s been used to going out.

The garden would have to be enclosed by a six foot fence (or mesh type grill) and then at the top it has to slope inwards about 45 degrees, this sloping bit would be ?loose? chicken wire (having enough supports so it doesn?t flop completely) as it will prevent the cat from being able to climb over and out.

If this interests you here are instructions on how to construct it http://www.fabcats.org/is25.html

Hope this helps! Let us know how you get on..

Catsey Junior

24-01-2004, 11:45 PM   #3

It's worrying because they may get attached to her and one day decide to keep her. I'd let them know you don't mind them smoothing her but they must not feed her as she is allergic to wet food. If this doesn't work, next time you know she is there knock on their door and tell them you want her back, that way if they refuse you can report them to the police - this may show them that you mean business and put them off. Good luck

25-01-2004, 01:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina
It's worrying because they may get attached to her and one day decide to keep her. I'd let them know you don't mind them smoothing her but they must not feed her as she is allergic to wet food. If this doesn't work, next time you know she is there knock on their door and tell them you want her back, that way if they refuse you can report them to the police - this may show them that you mean business and put them off. Good luck
Been through this already. They deny calling her in let alone feeding her, yet one time I let her out at 1:30 at night before (I work from home, often late), and I had to pop out to get something from the car a moment later.

When I went back outside one of the family was outside and picked her up, and took her inside! I knocked on the door and got her back, I was furious at that time but bit my tongue and simply asked them (again) to stop calling her in!

They've also "renamed" her (with a boys name too!) which is extremely upsetting for me (even though that may sound petty), especially because they know her name, and it's written on her collar!

Looks like I may have to take the "penning in the garden" route, although that would be very tricky with our house. It's a bizzare situation, if I wanted a cat I'd adopt one from the RSPCA or a cat rescue centre, not from someone else's home!

Catsey Junior

25-01-2004, 05:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_M
It's a bizzare situation...
Must admit I agree with you there Paul

Also think that Azz's suggestion may be worth a thought as at least you'll know she's safe, and not just from those neighbours but traffic accidents, dogs, silly children and not forgetting cat thieves!

Would love to see some pictures if you do decide to enclose the garden as I may also be tempted Currently my cats are kept strictly indoors!

Catsey Veteran

25-01-2004, 06:48 PM   #6

Hi Paul

I know this might sound unfair but it might be worth keeping your little one in for a while get a cat litter tray and some toys and make a big fuss of her - your over friendly neighbours might get the message then?

It must be really upsetting for you.

Abbi

25-01-2004, 06:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbi
Hi Paul

I know this might sound unfair but it might be worth keeping your little one in for a while get a cat litter tray and some toys and make a big fuss of her - your over friendly neighbours might get the message then?

It must be really upsetting for you.

Abbi
Ironically I've just done that, had her in for a month solid, she was starting to go a little barmey despite the extra toys and fuss (she's an outdoor cat really, quite big too!).

For three nights it was fine, then early one morning I hear from my bedroom the neighbours calling her in again. That's why I posted the first message really, I'm wondering what to do next! When I whizzed round there to get her back she apparently had "snuck in again" and it was "the first time we've let her in in ages"..... Grrrrrr.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Catsey Veteran

25-01-2004, 07:01 PM   #8

It must be hard especially as they are neighbours and getting nasty could end in you not speaking again - what is the relationship like and have you lived there long? Do they know how upset this is making you?

Abbi

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Bengal
Azz is Male
25-01-2004, 09:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbi
Do they know how upset this is making you?

Abbi
If they do and are continuing to do behave this way, then I definately think it's something worth falling out over!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Many Birman Cats
14-03-2004, 11:37 PM   #10

Hi there,
Just joined. sorry to hear about your dilemma and the distress it is causing you.

In Australia we have curfews on cats out at night - for lots of animal rescue reasons - saving the native fauna. Cats are nocturnal but yours could easily be retrained with a bit of perseverance to stay in your own back yard - it would be safer all round - there are so many cats killed by cars at night.

If it was me I would go the fence the backyard route - it is quite easy actually and an ideal solution to keep your girl home and let her still have the freedom to come and go.

My back yard is cat-proofed like that - I consider it part of responsible ownership - not meaning that you are irresponsible - but I do not want my cat stolen- which is being done to you although covertly, run over or causing a nuisance in the neighbourhood. I think it is worth keeping the peace with your neighbours and arranging the garden to keep your cat home.....trust me she will adjust.