Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
17-03-2014, 01:13 AM   #1

Cats For Sale At Pets At Home

I have typed this once and lost it! Pets at Home sre going to put cats in pens in their stores for Cats Protection, RSPCA and Battersea to sell them for an 'adoption fee'.

I am so angry I am almost speechless. Who thought that putting traumatised cats into a busy store full of loud people and screeching children was a good idea. 'I want a kitten'. 'I want a cat, I want that one'. Obviously Pets at Home are hoping to make huge amounts of money by supplying all the stuff that goes with getting a cat but there is no excuse for the charities concerned. I used to be a big supporter of Cats Protection but not any more. I will never go into a Pets at Home store again if this happens and will never support any of the charities involved in this.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
17-03-2014, 11:35 AM   #2

Re: Cats For Sale At Pets At Home

I read this on the other social network this morning, and my first reaction was the same as yours, a bit taken aback to say the least!

However, I have read a post from my local CP branch and there is no change in the adoption procedure, i.e., home screening etc. I am concerned about the 'impulse' buy but I am told that these stores will have specific areas where the cats can be kept and supervised, in a place apart from the general store.

I don't intend to stop my donations as I think that will hinder CP in their rescue work and vet fees. I just wish P@H would consider just donating to local rescue charities from the profit pocket, but you get nothing for nothing they say :sigh:

I would have to hear more that what I've read on social forums before I make a more such as stopping my support, please think carefully.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
17-03-2014, 01:11 PM   #3

Agreed PP. I too was shocked when I read the news about this. It seems that there is more consideration behind this that immediately meets the eye and it looks as if the charities involved are being responsible towards the animals in their care. Full article from Cats Protection website here ... http://cats.org.uk/news/media-statem...o-pets-at-home

Catsey Senior

17-03-2014, 01:28 PM   #4

Thanks Yola and PP. I do tend to go off the deep end where animals are concerned. I still don't think it's right to have cats already traumatised disturbed every day. There Maybe P@H, good abbreviation by the way, should sponsor local charities. Staff at rescue centres have a vested interest in finding animals a suitable home, staff at supermarkets do as they are told. It seems every time I write a post I go offline so I'll stop now. Perhaps someone is trying to tell me something!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
17-03-2014, 03:02 PM   #5

Thanks for the link to the media statement from CP, Yola. It is a shame that CP has to 'get into bed' with business to continue to function but it's the way of the world these days. Hopefully sharing the premises with P@H will reduce costs and donations can focus on the animals needs.
Fecto's mum, I'm reassured that the supermarket won't be involved in the 'selling' of the cats, but get their end of the bargain by providing the requisites, food etc.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
17-03-2014, 05:31 PM   #6

I agree that already stressed cats shouldn't be unduly stressed any further but I guess the bottom line is that charities are in a desperate situation with so many animals in their care and they are just trying every avenue to move them on.

SPAY AND NEUTER!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
17-03-2014, 08:29 PM   #7

i was quite appalled when i read this. i dont agree with the cats being kept in pens in the store at all, and i think this is just another way for p@h to make more money. why cant they have say, a pet of the day with a picture of an animal needing adopted?
i already boycott p@h as i dont agree with the way they source their animals, from mass breeding farms with no care given to the poor animals bred from, and often kept in unacceptable and horrid conditions, some arriving at the stores ill or already dead.
i dont think its a good idea these charities associate their names with p@h.

Catsey Senior

17-03-2014, 09:42 PM   #8

I agree lynz, there are other ways for charities to raise money. It seems that small, independent rescue centres are much more clued up regarding rehoming. The Ark in Ashbourne is brilliant. Cats have spotless, individual inside runs with access to small gardens. There is a large room furnished like a lounge where volunteers can sit and play with the cats or just sit quiet with nervous cats. cats are allowed out around the offices, etc and will mix with other cats. There is also a cat behaviourist on hand for cats with problems. Can the RSPCA, with all it's millions say the same. I don't think so.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
18-03-2014, 01:30 AM   #9

no, I believe not! RSPCA actually put down healthy animals because there are so many unwanted and abandoned animals out there, which is really sad. the SPCA here in scotland dont put any healthy animals to sleep, and i have rescued from CP and SPCA. as angie said, if irresponsible people would just neuter their animals!!

i think its going to take drastic measures for the level of unwanted animals all over the world to be reduced

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
18-03-2014, 03:06 AM   #10

Step back into old dark days