Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
30-03-2011, 09:15 PM   #1

possible eye issue

So... A short while ago I noticed that Cloud seemed to have some clear discharge coming from her eye, which looked like it was streaked with a little blood. I also noticed an eye lash there as I was getting a closer look, and clearing it for her.

Vets trip ahead or...?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
30-03-2011, 09:18 PM   #2

Re: possible eye issue

bathe in mild saline solution and unless it gets worse I'd do that for a few times a day for a few days.

Hope she's just scratched it or something simple.

Catsey Veteran

30-03-2011, 09:22 PM   #3

OK. Thanks, will do.

Just find it very tricky to decide on things which seem small. Don't want to go to vets if it's something easy sorted, or just normal for cats. But don't want to leave her if it's more serious...

Catsey Veteran

30-03-2011, 09:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel
OK. Thanks, will do.

Just find it very tricky to decide on things which seem small. Don't want to go to vets if it's something easy sorted, or just normal for cats. But don't want to leave her if it's more serious...
Oh, it's always easier to advise on someone elses cat. Never easy to decide what to do with your own!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
30-03-2011, 09:27 PM   #5

I agree - mild saline solution and just see if the problem goes away. Not sure about how long to wait though, perhaps see how it is after 24 hours.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
30-03-2011, 09:46 PM   #6

are you sure it was blood, Kate ? it's just that sometimes the mucous that collects in the corner of the eye can look brownish.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
30-03-2011, 11:20 PM   #7

Hope Clouds eye is ok

Hugs xx

Catsey Veteran

31-03-2011, 07:40 AM   #8

Thanks all. Problem is it's very occasional. I can have crusting to wipe away most days, but only a little - like 'sleep' in the eye that we can get. This was wet, clear and streaked with red - no idea what red might be if it not blood. She's never had that one before I don't think, and once I wiped away the little that was there, there has been no more since. So it goes on, never enough to make me think I really need to take her to the vet cause of continual running eye stuff, but enough that I'm aware that there might be something there!

I did prepare a saline solution though - goodness knows how salty it was though - boiled kettle, filled a cup, and put about a half teaspoon into it. Once it was cool I wiped her eyes with it - different tissue for each eye to prevent any infection spreading.

She was SO good. Often if I pick her up just to hold her she'll wriggle and demand that I let her down. She seemed to know I had a reason for this as she stayed still and just let me get on with it. I was very impressed!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
31-03-2011, 09:05 AM   #9

She obviously knew you were looking after her

Catsey Veteran

31-03-2011, 06:10 PM   #10

Oh, good girlie Cloud. Perhaps when you next need wormers or next visit to vet just mention it, if it doesn't get any worse.

I just wonder if she's had it for a while if perhaps it could be a scratch or irritation to her tear duct? No idea if that would be symptoms for either but just a thought.