Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
15-02-2008, 05:59 PM   #11

Re: JAM today, JAM tomorrow or NO JAM at all???

I do like jam making - last year was building year, so we didn't do any but the year before our raspberry jam was yummy and so was our blackberry! I am quite happy to eat it in small quantities even with the sugar but now I have mil living with us and she is diabetic, so I'd be grateful if anyone could post a jam recipe with minimal or no sugar at all. That would be excellent! Thanks all.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
15-02-2008, 06:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
I do like jam making - last year was building year, so we didn't do any but the year before our raspberry jam was yummy and so was our blackberry! I am quite happy to eat it in small quantities even with the sugar but now I have mil living with us and she is diabetic, so I'd be grateful if anyone could post a jam recipe with minimal or no sugar at all. That would be excellent! Thanks all.
Here's some sugar-free recipes Angie, may be worth a try.........

http://www.diabetic-lifestyle.com/ar...03_cooki_1.htm

http://www.recipezaar.com/242788

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
15-02-2008, 06:53 PM   #13

We used to pick wild blackberries as kids too. I picked some whilst out walking last year and they tasted soooo good, much sweeter and jucier than shop bought. Is there a law about picking them?? If they are on walk ways for instance

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
16-02-2008, 12:24 AM   #14

Thanks so much for the links Mags - I've bookmarked them. Delicious!

BC - as far as I am aware, 2 of the things that grow wild that you can pick without breaking any laws are stinging nettles and BLACKBERRIES! I think that's because they grow so easily, so you have no worries.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 3 Moggy Toms and a Princess
17-02-2008, 12:18 AM   #15

I thought you could pick anything as long as it is not growing as a crop or considered endangered. I have the food for free book and it doesn't mention anything about breaking the law by gathering wild harvest.

I think you just need to be mindful that you don't desimate (think that's how it's spelt) a plant.

We pick, Bliberries, Sloes for sloe Gin, elderberries and when I was a kid my dad made wine form nearly anything (even tea bags - but they don't grow in the wild ) - just need to remember to aviod anything too close to traffic or within pee height where people walk dogs

I draw the line at road kill too !!!!