Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Cross-breed (Maine Coon)
11-11-2012, 12:05 AM   #1

Eating patterns - does your cat do this?

Billy has a good apetite one day, eats quite a lot then not much the next...then he's back to tucking in again. Obviously, with the problem keeping weight on him this worries me a bit, so I am wondering if anyone else's cat does this? He's not unwell, urinating and defecating normally and not drinking to excess so I am wondering if anyone else's cat eats like this.

I know I'm becoming hypersensitive to his every whim in case it's an indication I need to take him back to the vet but I am trying to be rational and think about what's totally normal before getting myself up in a heap.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
11-11-2012, 12:23 AM   #2

Re: Eating patterns - does your cat do this?

I am sure that cats generally adapt their eating to various things - I find that Kizzy in particular will eat more when the weather is cold. Pip is not a good indicator however as he will eat whatever and whenever and is far less likely to curb his eating unless the weather is very hot or he's not feeling 100%.

Catsey Junior

11-11-2012, 11:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
I am sure that cats generally adapt their eating to various things - I find that Kizzy in particular will eat more when the weather is cold. Pip is not a good indicator however as he will eat whatever and whenever and is far less likely to curb his eating unless the weather is very hot or he's not feeling 100%.
Thanks Angie,

I'm worried because he's gone from 2.8kg to 2.63 since our last visit to the vet (Oct 25th). I am not sure what a reasonable amount of time is to expect weight gain so I don't know if weighing him again this week is too soon to see a difference and will worry me unnecessarily.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Tiger and Lester
11-11-2012, 10:10 PM   #4

My older cat can eat more one day and not so much the next day. Tiger does tend to eat less on days that I am home on a day off.

Catsey Junior

11-11-2012, 10:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinef2
My older cat can eat more one day and not so much the next day. Tiger does tend to eat less on days that I am home on a day off.
Thank you Pauline, that's exactly what Billy is doing. He had some breakfast, then went and sat on his bench in the back porch (he likes it there cos the sun streams in but he's protected from the cold) and after a good long nap he was quite chirpy, and had a good bit to eat (also begging for turkey, which is naughty but reassuring in itself!). He's also having no problem taking tablets in his favourite pate so I know he's feeling ok as long as he's not turning his nose up at his favourite treats.

Catsey Junior

12-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #6

I've had him to the vet today and I'm going to post the whole story in my 'Billy Update' thread