Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: wild cat
26-01-2011, 06:48 PM   #1

food for a sensitive tummy

Whisky has had tummy problems for ages, he has had all the tests done all came back negative. The vet suggested I remove all dried food (he was having JWB and Applaws)and stick to one brand of wet food (hilife).

This cleared the diarrhea but is costing me a fortune and I am not sure if my other cat is getting enough food as Whisky is so greedy!

I am thinking of trying a dried food for sensitive stomachs, is there one that is particularly good?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
26-01-2011, 07:08 PM   #2

Re: food for a sensitive tummy

One of my cats Maxi right from the beginning when we first brought him home always had problems his tummy and was always having bad bouts of diorreha he was eventually diagonsed with colitus and was put on steriods to help. He is now off them and has been off them for about 15mths and I have found he is quite settled on Royal Canine Dental S/O dry food and he has Royal Canine Senitive wet food. I find that if I try and change him to anything else his poops start to go loose again. Both foods I order from Viovet online (its alot cheaper) with no problems, hope that helps

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggie monsters (1 with Wings)
27-01-2011, 01:54 PM   #3

Both Hernie and Rhino had this problem from when we got them as kittens and they went to the vets a few times about it and we tried various foods. They have been on Arden Grange Sensitive Fish and Potato for about 2 years now and its worked wonders with them. Only problem is they have reached the point where they are getting fussy and not eating as much of it We do feed them wet alongside it(most of the time hilife tuna tins as Rhino is an extremely fussy eater and this is the one he likes the best-Hernie would eat anything ). Hernie has had constipation a few times over the last couple of years but this has happened when we have been unable to get their usual wet food or we run out of dry food before the new bag arrives and his diet has a sudden change. I would recommend the food though, i remember the days of having to wash poo off of kitty feet Its about £30 for a 7.5kg bag, i get it from vetuk as alot of places dont seem to stock the fish and potato. I find a bag that size usually lasts about 2 months for Hernie and Rhino having it alongside one wet meal a day-AJ is on a prescription diet and his is costing me more then double that price

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
27-01-2011, 05:29 PM   #4

Kizzy had a problem when she first arrived and I started giving her Royal Canin Digestive Comfort. She is doing well on that and does now and again take a little bit of wet Felix - well actually only the gravy, as does Pip. I buy it from Pet Planet online, which reminds me I must re-order.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
27-01-2011, 06:37 PM   #5

Tim has always had problems. Finally after trial & error have found he can eat Hills adult sensitive & Amber gets Pro Plan kitten sensitive, her digestion is fine but it was just in case Tim took some of Amber which he does. They both get wet Felix sachets. Once Amber is couple months on i will change her over to the the Hills sensitive purely because its more convenient for me to pick up at vets although it works out cheaper than Pro plan, RC etc which surprised me

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 5 Cats
16-05-2011, 09:43 AM   #6

Smokey has a sensitive tummy and I feed him Felix foil trays. Have you tried Hills Science Plan? It comes in wet or dry but the dry food is good as it is slightly moist aswell so it isn't too dry for them.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
16-05-2011, 10:22 AM   #7

Hills Science is the food my vet recommends and stocks. I did buy a bag for Kizzy and Pip a while ago but they weren't too keen on it and although it did go in the end I was mixing it with other food.

Monty loves the Hill Science Puppy treats - which he is given at the vet. Good distraction whilst giving inoculations!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
16-05-2011, 01:07 PM   #8

Dylan's got a sensitive tummy, he has Royal Canin exigent and James Wellbeloved.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
17-08-2011, 05:50 PM   #9

I give Mitzi Purina Pro Plan Sensitive dry, she has tended to sporadically throw up on other foods, it is also renal support so my boy eats it too with no probs. My sister's cat has always been sensitive and this is the only thing that she has tried that he doesn't throw up afterwards.
I get it from petplanet, it's on offer at the moment at I think £14 for a 3kg bag, it's round about £19 now rrp in the shops.