Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Two moggies
03-10-2010, 07:29 PM   #1

Royal Canin

Our kittens are being fed Royal Canin, and the lady we are getting the kittens from advises we keep then on the same food.

What do you think about Royal Canin? More expensive than other brands? Would you recommend other brands?

Any advice would be really appreciated thanks

Kittens will be about eight weeks when we get them home.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
03-10-2010, 08:05 PM   #2

Re: Royal Canin

It's generally suggested you keep them on the same food till they're settled in, then gradually introduce the food you'd prefer.

I'm in the States so can't comment on prices/brands but our other members will have advice, I'm sure.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
03-10-2010, 10:20 PM   #3

I feed Dylan on Royal Canin Exigent (due to suspected food sensitivity issues). It's about £15 for a 2kg bag. I don't have a problem with it, but at the end of the day once the kittens have settled in it's up to you what you feed them.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: domestic
03-10-2010, 10:21 PM   #4

I got a free kitten pack from the vet and it included a pouch of royal canin. Oliver ate it and when I got more, he sniffed it and walked away. He is now happy to eat go cat. We started him off on go cat kitten, then he moved on to the ordinary go cat cos thats what we feed Benny. Royal canin is expensive as is the hills science (Oliver didnt like that when we got him it to try out!). He wont entertain whiskas either, crunch or food.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
03-10-2010, 11:26 PM   #5

I feed my lot Royal Canin sensible and have done for many years. Harvey (who has a sensive tum) is fed on Royal Canin gastrointestinal. I think RC is a very good quality food and with most things, I believe you get what you pay for. Best to keep him on what he is used to anyway. Good luck with him!! x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
04-10-2010, 08:29 PM   #6

Imogen eats the Royal canin British Shorthair- I'm not totally convinced about the whole 'breed specific' diets to be honest but it's a dry food that she likes and will eat which saves the dog pinching it all which is what happens if I buy anything else!
I'd recommend keeping them on the same food for a few weeks or so but as RCR says, then it's up to you what you feed them.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
04-10-2010, 10:14 PM   #7

Mine have Royal Canin Digestive comfort, and don't want to eat anything else (except Pip likes the gravy from Harley's wet food). I initially tried this as Kizzy had dreadfully smelly flatulence (sorry!) when she first arrived and this calmed it down. I buy it online and it's a quite a bit cheaper than buying in store.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Two moggies
10-10-2010, 10:00 PM   #8

There are so many foods out there! Is dry food best, or a mixture of wet and dry foods? Kitty cats can be so fussy! Maybe it's a case of trial and error and seeing what they like!

Really appreciate the advice thank you xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
10-10-2010, 11:33 PM   #9

The rescue centre we got our kittens from use Royal Canin Kitten and when I got Tim I bought a bag off them - it lasts ages.

Im not a great believer in only dried food for either dog or cat. My youngest dog if fed kibble dry - bloats, so their kibble is always soaked with some wet added.

As for the kittens they get a sachet of Nature Menu kitten [wet food] - 72% chicken + small handful of dry RC kibble with each meal. I couldnt rate Natures Menu highly enough.

As everyone else says I would keep the kittens on whatever they are being fed at present until they settle and then you could gradually introduce [over a few days so not to upset digestive systems] the food of your choice.

Looking forward to seeing photos of your kittens

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
11-10-2010, 05:27 PM   #10

A mixture of wet and dry food is best I've found. I don't think cats usually drink much (correct me if I'm wrong)