Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
17-10-2008, 03:29 PM   #1

Meep's Home Improvements

As I mentioned in the Daily Thread, I'm planning on painting my bathroom this weekend to cover up mildew stains. I'm also planning on repainting the hall, but will only get testers this weekend.

So far I've thought about either a warm brown, light green, or rich gold for the hall. (The bathroom will just be white!)

I'm leaning toward a few colours in this pallette:

http://www.dulux.co.uk/colours/fresh_golds.jsp

The hall is long and narrow, with no natural light. It's currently got a dull yellow on it, and is covered in scuff marks. So need something to warm it up but that isn't going to make it look smaller!

Also, I'll post photos of my new curtains by request up here when I get home this evening. I'm currently on a lengthy mission to do my flat up and make it much more homely! It's lovely and much improved since we first moved in but lacking in homely touches and decoration. Will keep all updated on my progress; these sort of things do make me happy

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
17-10-2008, 04:17 PM   #2

Re: Meep's Home Improvements

I have a long hall, part of it is quite dark too, and we have just put very pale yellow on the walls, the floor is light laminate, and we have beige rugs.....it did open it up a bit and make it more airy.....

Almost a Veteran Member

17-10-2008, 04:19 PM   #3

Thanks Moli that's good to know The colour on the hall just now is a dark, dirty looking yellow. I think it looks dark as it's old and actually dirty! (The reason we painted the living room and spare room).

The bedroom is a really nice, light yellow which is really bright and opens up the room. But for variety I'd like a different colour other than light yellow in the hall. From the colour palette I posted I'm thinking Californian Sands 1. Very rich and bold! All the other rooms are very light / neutral, apart from the one dark red wall in the living room.

I'd love to get rugs for the hall too, but such an expense!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
17-10-2008, 04:24 PM   #4

I like light colours too, My kitchen is a very pale green, my favourite colour.....Livingroom is white with silver through it, makes the room look really airy, then I have pale blue in the showeroom, and pale peach in the bathroom....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
17-10-2008, 06:11 PM   #5

Oooo - I love home improvements I too have a long, narrow hallway only lit by a fanlight above the front door. We used to have dusty pink above the dado rail and olive green wide striped paper below. Quite nice and not as disgusting as it sounds but it did darken the dark areas too much. Since then, I've painted cream above the dado with biscuit/cream stripes below. Much nicer!

Meep, to break up the large expanse of wall and stop it looking dark/bleak/bare have you considered using something like a dado or even subtler beading to create a break in the expanse of wall . . . you can then have tonally harmonic colours but vary them a bit . . . just a thought!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
17-10-2008, 08:09 PM   #6

I really like the Grenada Green in that sample!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: nnnnnn
17-10-2008, 09:40 PM   #7

Pharaohs Gold is a lovely colour!

we have just re-carpeted the entire house in our new place a 'coffee' colour it is called but VERY light not dark colour.

tom we are painting the hallway & landing in a magnolia or a cream colour!

new curtains to! i like creams & browns & reds! with no clutter! :-p

i had such a good time when i had my house a few years back and we did it up from top to bottom so i got to design 4 bedrooms & kitchen/bathroom/lounge etc! was lots of fun!

my dad is a property devloper & i designed some stuff for him on one of his houses! its great to see it all take shape!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
17-10-2008, 11:14 PM   #8

Mirrors are a really good idea meep! I'd have trouble with choosing the colour for your hall though. One good tip - if you paint your match pot colour on the wall, you won't be able to evaluate it in different places, so paint it on a piece of paper and just stick it up with a bit of low tack masking tape - then you can move it about. I was amazed how the colours changed with the time of day, but if you have no natural light in your hall that shouldn't have such an effect.

Good luck - looking forward to seeing pictures!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
17-10-2008, 11:51 PM   #9

I agree Eileen I like the greens too....Granada is lovely.

Meep I like Yola's sugestion of breaking up the space how about the Granada Green 2 or 3 on the base then above it Granada Green 5 or 6 above.

I like green.............as I said in the daily thread a mirror is perfect for throing light onto an area.

Looking forward to the pictures.

Almost a Veteran Member

18-10-2008, 10:19 AM   #10

Hi and thanks for your wondeful suggestions all! In a wee bit of a rush so I can make it the paint shop in time before it closes (only open early on Sat. at a weekend). I was actually thinking of going two tone and doing half and half, for exactly the same reasons. And it does add variety.

But if I was painting a two tone high and low, how would I seperate the two, or make sure hte lines perfectly straight? It is a rented place and the landlord has agreed to pay for the paint but don't know if I could fit a wooden thing, or plaster wall paper myself? :S

I'm going to get samples of some yellow/ golds and some greens today