Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
07-12-2013, 01:38 AM   #1

Varifocals anyone wear them?

Earlier this year had eyes tested and I need glasses for driving/distance and reading can't seem to have the right pair at the right time. So thought what about varifocals .....anyone wear them? I understand that unlike bifocals that have a "line" dividing distance to reading the vari's are distance top blending to middle to reading at the bottom the key being the blending of the glass rather than the top bottom.

Have seen spec savers have an offer on try varifocals and if not suitable 30 days to exchange for normal etc. Just wondered good bad experiences?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
07-12-2013, 06:38 AM   #2

Re: Varifocals anyone wear them?

I have varifocals Kazz and get on with them fine, wouldn't have anything else now. There are three ranges of vision to choose from, ranging from the varifocal area being just in the centre of the lens to it covering the whole of the lens. Obviously the more lens cover the more expensive they are. I started with the lowest range and they did take a while to get used to, now I always have the full cover varifocal lens and they are perfect for me, although expensive.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
07-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #3

I've had varifocals for quite a while now but now that I'm getting older I find I still need to put separate reading glasses on, or take them off altogether, for reading. My distance sight has never been particularly good - my OH sees something and gets annoyed that I can't see it! Having said that, the varis did work for me for quite a few years perfectly well.

As that offer is on Kazz, I'd go for it and try them for yourself.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
07-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #4

Yes, I have varifocals Angie and get on with them fine, I think they need strengthening again though as my close vision is getting blurred. Always been very short sighted and reading problems became evident when I hit my late 40's, when I wore contact lenses I just used cheap readers. When I abandoned the lenses for my specs I went for varifocals to 'look better' that bifocals, also have a reactolite tint on them too, saves all the fuss with swapping to sunnies on bright days.

Catsey Veteran

07-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
I have varifocals Kazz and get on with them fine, wouldn't have anything else now. There are three ranges of vision to choose from, ranging from the varifocal area being just in the centre of the lens to it covering the whole of the lens. Obviously the more lens cover the more expensive they are. I started with the lowest range and they did take a while to get used to, now I always have the full cover varifocal lens and they are perfect for me, although expensive.

Thanks Mags think I will give the a try..........will go for the "best of the best" and go from there I think given the offer to exchange within 30 days......need to double check first the fine detail.

Catsey Veteran

07-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
I've had varifocals for quite a while now but now that I'm getting older I find I still need to put separate reading glasses on, or take them off altogether, for reading. My distance sight has never been particularly good - my OH sees something and gets annoyed that I can't see it! Having said that, the varis did work for me for quite a few years perfectly well.

As that offer is on Kazz, I'd go for it and try them for yourself.
Thanks Angie I will do..........

Catsey Veteran

07-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshPuss
Yes, I have varifocals Angie and get on with them fine, I think they need strengthening again though as my close vision is getting blurred. Always been very short sighted and reading problems became evident when I hit my late 40's, when I wore contact lenses I just used cheap readers. When I abandoned the lenses for my specs I went for varifocals to 'look better' that bifocals, also have a reactolite tint on them too, saves all the fuss with swapping to sunnies on bright days.
Yes I am going to go for the sun tinted/reactive sort and the best of the best so to speak. Given they are on offer