Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: SHD x3 and LHD X1
19-06-2007, 06:49 PM   #1

Fudge has been in a R.T.A ....

I have been at my mums all weekend, so have had no chance to get online. Anyway, heres the story ...

I called by my nans on Friday evening for her to tell me she 'thought' that Fudge had been in a fight because her back looked funny. Fudge hadnt been home at all the day before and ran upstairs as soon as she went home Friday. Anyway, as soon as a I saw Fudge I realised that she had been hot by a car. She had a bad face (cuts and blood), her tail looked broken and she wasnt very happy when I touched her leg.

I took her to the vets straight away, to have conformed what I had suggested to my nan. Unfortunately, the vet also said that her pelvic area was badly bruised, which meant that she didnt know when she needed to have a wee. The vet squeezed her bladder to empty it, and saod that it may have been fatal if she had been left any longer.

She was given a jab for shock and another one (not sure what for ). The vet showed me how to empty her bladder and I took her back to my nans.

Nan had to lock her in the shed (with a window!!), so that she couldnt escape and get hurt again. My nan tried to empty her bladder Saturday morning, but couldnt do it, so took her back to the vets.

Fudge then stayed at the vets until this morning (Tuesday), when I picked her up. I couldnt stand her being locked in the cage any longer and also the veterinary nurse was useless. Unfortunately, Fudge still cant have a wee by herself, but she can poo. I have told my nan that if she cant empty Fudges bladder, to take her to the vets daily to be emptied. (the vet said she only needs to be emptied once daily)

The vet has suggested that there are some human tablets that may be able to help her to wee again. The problem is that the manager of the vets is the one that needs to arrange these tablets and she is on holiday until next week. This means that we have to empty her bladder daily until these tablets arrive., We then need to hope that they work.

If this problem is sorted, she will then have her tail amputated.

Has anybody ever come across a cat with pelvic bruising? Any suggestions? She is happy to be 'squeezed', but its not very nice for the poor girl. I am really hoping that these tablets help.

Positive vibes for Fudge please

Tanya xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
19-06-2007, 06:58 PM   #2

Re: Fudge has been in a R.T.A ....

Oh i am so sorry for poor fudge. She certainley is a little fighter. Sending loads of good vibes

jane

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
19-06-2007, 07:00 PM   #3

Oh dear Tanya, I'm so sorry to hear about Fudge....I hope she will get better soon for you..

That is a bit of a nuisance you having to empty her bladder every day....I've never heard of anyone doing that before.

Sam, my previous cat, broke his pelvis once. We had to cage him for 6 weeks so that he didn't move about too much. But even the day after with a broken pelvis, he used to drag himself into his litter tray and go wees in it. In his case it was poos that he couldn't do but we got round that with some medicine.

I hope you will be able to get hold of these tablets soon, I shouldn't think it was very comfortable for her beeing squeezed every day

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
19-06-2007, 07:13 PM   #4

awww poor little mite

Arthur was hit by a car (so we think) a couple of years ago, his hips were dislocated from his spine and he had to have cage rest, I set him up in a large dog crate which worked very well. His lower jaw had split in two as well and this was wired together. He made a full recovery.

Is there any chance you can get a large dog crate to put her in??

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
19-06-2007, 07:37 PM   #5

Sorry cant offer any help love but sending vibes by the mountain full. I really hope Fudge recovers.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
19-06-2007, 07:44 PM   #6

Tanya - that is so frightening for you and your nan, and of course for poor Fudge too

May I just suggest you maybe have a quick word with another vet? This squeezing business seems a bit odd to me. I've not had a cat with this problem before, but I do know people whose cats have been in accidents with subsequent pelvic problems and this has never been an issue.

Either way, I hope Fudge makes a quick and full recovery - poor little love.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
19-06-2007, 07:46 PM   #7

So very sorry to hear the news about poor Fudge. Sending loads of possitive vibes for a full and speedy recovery xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
19-06-2007, 07:48 PM   #8

Im so sorry to hear about fudge,lots of healing vibes coming your way xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
19-06-2007, 08:46 PM   #9

Poor fudge, and you!! Sending loads of healing vibes to her!! ((hugs))

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
19-06-2007, 08:49 PM   #10

Hoping for a quick recovery for Fudge. Must of been a real worry for you x