Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
25-08-2008, 04:26 PM   #21

Re: A few more of Darcy and Minsky

Does Darcy have any other "canine" traits?

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
25-08-2008, 04:29 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Does Darcy have any other "canine" traits?
It's Minsky who fetches the ball, Darcy also likes to chase it but isn't as good at catching it in the air (to jump up) and he's never picked it up in his mouth.

Darcy frequently falls asleep at my feet though, wherever I'm sitting. I'm not quite sure what other canine traits would be; they don't pant or tail wag that's for sure

I guess fetching a ball is very unusual for a cat. They don't do it on command, like "fetch!" but if Minsky wants to keep playing ball and I dont go and find it for him he'll eventually bring it to me. He often wanders around with it in his mouth though.

Almost a Veteran Member

25-08-2008, 04:30 PM   #23

Oh I remember one that was so 'dog-like!' Minsky does crouch down and get ready to pounce when I roll the ball on the floor back and forth between my hands. He's gotten to recognise that if I pick it up and put my hand back I'm about to throw it into the other room, so he gets ready to run. Once I made the action of throwing but didnt actually throw it, and he still leaped out the room after the ball he thought I'd thrown

I know dogs do that quite often!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
25-08-2008, 04:46 PM   #24

Dandy played fetch with a tinfoil ball when he was a kitten/young adult; but gave it up in later years, He also loved to ride in a car with his head out the window (very doglike)...safely harnessed, I might add~!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
25-08-2008, 10:18 PM   #25

My cat Smudge used to do fetch and drop things at my feet to throw. She is the only cat I've had that did that.

CM

Almost a Veteran Member

26-08-2008, 09:13 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Dandy played fetch with a tinfoil ball when he was a kitten/young adult; but gave it up in later years, He also loved to ride in a car with his head out the window (very doglike)...safely harnessed, I might add~!

Oh DM, that is hilarious And so adorable! What a very strange thing for a cat to like, but so cute

Catsey Veteran

26-08-2008, 04:19 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep
Oh DM, that is hilarious And so adorable! What a very strange thing for a cat to like, but so cute
The very first time he got to ride in a car he was so excited he pooped a runny poop on the floor of my friend's new van!!! Needless to say, she was not amused........

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
26-08-2008, 06:34 PM   #28

oh - poor wee soul. It is quite unusual for a cat tho' to do that sort of thing.

Almost a Veteran Member

27-08-2008, 09:22 AM   #29

Awh bless him! Can I just ask, why were you taking him out in a van? And was he an outdoor or indoor cat? I always think it'd be so much fun to take my boys out on a lead or something, as they're so inquisitve and exciteable, but I know if they were allowed out once they'd just never give up yowling and scratching at the door till they were allowed out again.

Catsey Veteran

27-08-2008, 04:26 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep
Awh bless him! Can I just ask, why were you taking him out in a van? And was he an outdoor or indoor cat? I always think it'd be so much fun to take my boys out on a lead or something, as they're so inquisitve and exciteable, but I know if they were allowed out once they'd just never give up yowling and scratching at the door till they were allowed out again.
He was an indoor cat, but harness trained, and loved to go on his walks around the neighborhood. He was in a van because we were going to the CFA cat show in Gaithersburg (suburban Maryland). My friends were showing; their cats were in carriers; Dandy was on exhibition (he wasn't show quality but Puras were rare here in those days, so it was allowed). He yowled so much I let him out of the carrier on my lap in his harness. He adored the whole show thing...being fussed over, and all the new exciting scenes and smells! Pity he wasn't showable, he would have wowed the judges with his personality....Puras are known for being very sociable, people oriented cats!