Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
01-02-2009, 10:09 PM   #1

Any suggesions for tub

I have a half barrel tub which sits in a very windy position. There is a row of 5 of them. Two are planted with cabbage trees, two with miniature spruce and the 5th with an acer. They all have heathers rounf the edge.

The acer will need to be transplanted to a more sheltered part of the garden this spring. This is the middle tub of the 5 I really don't want to move them so - -

What will I put in the tub? It will have no protection, very windy, exposed and no shelter.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
01-02-2009, 10:53 PM   #2

Re: Any suggesions for tub

Wind's not a problem here so don't know much about tolerant plants. Did a Google and found one shrub that might be interesting...bayberry (Myrica). And birds like the berries.

http://www.mobot.org/GARDENINGHELP/PLANTFINDER/Plant.asp?code=E31

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
01-02-2009, 11:48 PM   #3

Not to sure about plants really, but what about a nice little water feature, the sound of water is really nice

Catsey Veteran

01-02-2009, 11:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Wind's not a problem here so don't know much about tolerant plants. Did a Google and found one shrub that might be interesting...bayberry (Myrica). And birds like the berries.

http://www.mobot.org/GARDENINGHELP/PLANTFINDER/Plant.asp?code=E31
Hadn't heard of this either - might see if I can track one down. Looks quite unusual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesy
Not to sure about plants really, but what about a nice little water feature, the sound of water is really nice
Water is nice. Unfortunately where this is situated there would be no access to electricity.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
02-02-2009, 12:09 AM   #5

I'll give this a bit more thought CM, but did think of tamarisk, although it may grow too big and I am not sure whether there is a dwarfing variety suitable for a tub. They are completely hardy as often grow in gardens right by the sea.

http://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/shr...no.PL00080745/

Catsey Veteran

02-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #6

Never seen these either, look quite nice though. Love the delicate look of the flowers.