Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
23-01-2009, 11:16 PM   #11

Re: Some progress in the Garden

I'm really impressed with the work you've done so far; looking very good. Am clueless as to the mystery plant in the tub, however. My first thought for a climber would be sweet Autumn clematis (Clematis paniculata); sprays of white starry sweet scented flowers in late Summer, and interesting seedheads afterwards, Not sure if your climate is too harsh for it, though. It's not fussy about soil and can tolerate some shade. I'm a hosta fan also, and ferns, although the latter don't do too well in our hot humid Summers, alas.

Love that owl!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
23-01-2009, 11:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
An agave, perhaps?
Had a 'google' for this plant. Is about the closest I've seen so far. You may be right.

Catsey Veteran

23-01-2009, 11:47 PM   #13

Have ordered a clematis catalogue - will try and limit myself to just one or two.

I mean I only have 14 growing so I really need some more. (don't I)

Almost forgot - I also have my mystery one that I got for 99p - type unknown.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
24-01-2009, 12:05 AM   #14

Looking good CM! Love the owl too......I too love climbers have loads of them too...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
24-01-2009, 12:51 PM   #15

Ha Ha been to the garden centre this morning to pick up some compost for the containers ( early I know but lugged back 8 bags I love that garden centre as its home done compost with fertiliser mixed in really good stuff. Will be putting some on the beds in the front

Anyhow sa this rose while I was there and the chap said the rose as you enter thats a a North West facing trellis and the rose that comes up there is this one and I have to say I have noticed it when I have been there when in flower...try this....'Souvenir du Docteur Jamain'

Lovely colour red if I recall.

Catsey Veteran

24-01-2009, 05:36 PM   #16

Here's a link to that rose, for the curious. Lovely, isn't it?

http://www.classicroses.co.uk/roses/...ur_jamain.html

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
24-01-2009, 06:51 PM   #17

That is a glorious colour isn't it. Looks as if it should smell lovely.

Catsey Veteran

24-01-2009, 06:56 PM   #18

Lovely rose Kazz. I love roses but they don't do v well here. Think it may be too windy. However the bit I want to put a climber onto is actually quite sheltered so another possibility. Like the idea that it is scented.

May consider a clematis and rose together. If I plan it right I'd get flowers over a long period.

Thanks for thinking of it for me.

Catsey Veteran

24-01-2009, 09:10 PM   #19

Clematis and rose together is a classic combo, and so lovely! That rose is supposed to be quite fragrant too.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
24-01-2009, 09:21 PM   #20

Well the ROSE I pass to get into my fav (old style) garden centre has a stunning scent really really nice its been there a while but the scent is delicious. the garden centre is my fav .....ie ...he has just this year graduated to a till and in the winter like now you have to pip your horn if you want anything other what you can help yourself to and they come out of the house about 1/2 mile up the drive or the greenhouses right up the top. Other than that you just put your money in the tin on the table....and help yourself to any change you need, write a little note on the pad left by the tin as to how much you've spent. This is in the city to....well Sutton just by the park. Nothing is organised nothing there other than what he grows himself too.....my idea of heaven. A proper plantsmans garden centre.