Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Dolly Mixture
22-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #1

Tips (Kitten)

Hi,

I have recently got a new kitten, and was wondering if anyone would be able to give me a few helpful tips on health care, playing and fun, and any other useful tips on keeping a kitten.

Sorry if i'm not specific enough, i'm just looking for any good tips in general

Thanks in advance,

Devo x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
23-12-2012, 06:40 AM   #2

Re: Tips (Kitten)

Have you had him/ her vaccinated yet.

Kittens should be kept indoors until 6 months & then neutered/spayed & whilst under anaesthetic , get them Microchipped.

Catsey Veteran

23-12-2012, 06:49 AM   #3

Toys: ours love balls (cat size ), anything with feathers, catnip toys, tunnels: cardboard boxes a great favourite x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
23-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #4

When playing with a young kitten, don't let it attack your hands - OUCH! Always use a toy and if the kitten does scratch you, just put it gently on the floor and stop playing. He'll soon get the idea that claws are not for playing with your human.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1 Raggie X boy
28-12-2012, 12:51 AM   #5

Hi! I will just share some tips I've learnt from my kitten (he is now 16 months). I will just assume your kitten is a boy for ease of writing

1. Buy a dental kit and get him used to having his teeth brushed slowly or you could face big vet bill in a few years, to get his teeth professionally cleaned, or for gum disease treatment. Of course, it's not fun for the cat either

2. Neuter him. I was so nervous it would make Henry all calm and defeated but one day after being neutered he was identical as before! Don't neuter him too young, or they can develop big urinary problems (males) from having stunted growth when very young - i neutered my cat at 7 months. After he is neutered, follow the vet's advice on the general diet but be VERY careful because often the vets will be sponsored by a brand and push and push it unnecessarily. Vets seem very keen on feeding all dry food very quickly but this can lead to bowel problems etc. In later life. After all, it's hardly natural to be eating dry biscuits constantly, for a carnivore. I feed my boy 40grams of Hills Neutered Dry and one 70g Hilife/Applaws/Encore wet food pouch at 6ish pm. He is 16 months. He loves his dinner and comes running in from the garden to eat it, and then I lock him in.

3. My kitty was so different from most as a baby and had no interest in little loose balls rolling at all.. He just wouldn't chase them! I would suggest buying a toy such as Catit Senses Circuit (my cat adores even after a year) or Panic Mouse Undercover and covering it with newspaper for added fun. If he is a ground hunter, he will prefer to have you hiding things and gently scratching under paper tissue or newspaper. I would also reccomend "Da Bird".

4. If you're gonna let him out in the garden at all buy a harness and walk round once a week until he is about 7 months.. And them think about letting him go by himself. In this time before, even if he is scared, walk round with him so the wind, for example, won't terrify him and make him bold the first time when he is by himself because he will have already experienced it. Start calling his name and giving him a treat when he comes, or his dinner. My cat is amazing because we did this - I just sing "Heenn-rreey" and he comes running in faster than you can imagine from the garden, even if he is happy outside!!! (Usually very muddy and red nosed!!)

5. People have different opinions but I think you should keep him strictly in the house until he is about 7 months. This way, he will have such a strong bond with the house and you that he will always come in for dinner and be happily locked in to sleep all night. It's not good to let them out at night! Call him in when it gets dark, so earlier in winter.

6. If he looks greasy, try and avoid a bath. Get a wet, warm flannel and rub it all over him. You will find that some cats only hate water when it is a scary, cold force over them like a shower. My kitty loves warm, spring days! He repeatedly dips his paws in any muddy puddle and comes in covered in muddy water. Rub him dry with a towel and back brush him a bit so he is all fluffy and soft!

7. Invest in a cattery you are very comfortable with

8. Buy him a nice big cat scratcher, so he will be even more keen to stay near the house to "mark" his territory!

9. Buy a cat IQ book and test his IQ for fun!

Good luck!!! Please feel free to message me anytime about your cat (and sorry if it is a girl!)

Catsey Veteran

28-12-2012, 06:26 AM   #6

Informative

Cats owned: Dolly Mixture
05-01-2013, 10:30 PM   #7

Thank you all very much for your help. Sorry, I forgot to add his sex, yes he is male

He is vaccinated, and is booked in for his neutering & microchipping.

He has started to get into a bad habit of using cupboard doors as scratching posts, which is certainly a no-no, so he will be getting a scratching post very soon.

Also, any tips on how to stop cats/kittens from running across certain areas?
Devo has begun climbing up on chairs to reach the kitchen table to run across it, and sometimes the counters too!
Our counters/table are always cleaned after food is around, so that isn't attracting him, and he doesn't stop to sniff, he just runs across and jumps down.
We can't put the chairs away or stand them on the table.

Thanks